Taming Turnings in 2010

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this is your home-made version of the Munro cutter head? Looks like it works really well. I've been thinking of making something similar recently. Any particular problems making it or is it pretty straightforward?

duncanh":3qo0458u said:
.... I've been thinking of making something similar recently. Any particular problems making it or is it pretty straightforward?

Would have been a lot neater if not easier had I have had a milling machine :lol:, as it took a bit more personal effort with a file, probably no longer though.

Ensuring you have a method of adjusting the shield, and keeping it aligned when set is crucial.

______
________First stab at the adjustable Handle for the Hollowing Tool.________Click on images for larger view.
________

Careful Chas, that is getting to look more and more like a Monroe with each improvement. :lol: Wish I had your skill,

Pete

Paul.J":2vzi7hh2 said:
Will we be seeing some hollow forms now Chas :?:
I doubt it very much, just need something for deep hollowing of vases with improved safety.

Looking good Chas. So when will you be selling your new tool (for a fraction of the price of the Munro :whistle: :lol: :lol: :wink: )

Richard

Richard Findley":2bnism75 said:
Looking good Chas. So when will you be selling your new tool (for a fraction of the price of the Munro :whistle: :lol: :lol: :wink: )

Richard

:lol: :lol: Does put rather a big question mark on the Pricing, although I fully understand the costings of scale when casting components etc. for what are fairly low volume sales.

Guess it's not the tool to take along to Yandles or Axminster this spring. :p

I may try for a slimmer version of the head assembly latter on, don't really know if it will be needed at this stage for my intended use.

Main thing is coming to terms with material strength required. Although in reality the cutting loads are quite low due to the limited cutting depths maintaining rigidity is the priority I think.

______
_________Did this among other bits today
________whilst checking smallest diameter that new Hollowing Tool will cut.
(nose radius of head)___Click on images for larger view.
________

________Spalted Beech 185mm High X 54-56dia.
________Bore is 49mm, tool cut easily with no snatches due to catching but is not
________controllable in my hands to form a smooth continuous bore in this mode,
________had to finish off with a plunge cut with a stiff scraper.

Looks good Chas.
Nice piece of Beech,nicely spalted and finished :D
I'm sure you will get used to the tool over time and with some modifications to it.How does it feel compared to the Munro tool itself :?:
What is the handle made from :?:

Paul.J":28on8ba4 said:
Looks good Chas.
Nice piece of Beech,nicely spalted and finished :D
I'm sure you will get used to the tool over time and with some modifications to it.How does it feel compared to the Munro tool itself :?:
What is the handle made from :?:

Mine is somewhat heavier in use than as I remember the Munro, but operates in the same manner in as much as you rotate the head against the rubbing shield until the cut is picked up.
The weight difference is deliberate, it is not a tool I will be using for long periods and I think the extra weight will provide additional damping. Most of the weight comes from the 5/8" shaft and its length, more than is needed.

The Handle:
  • Aluminium tube from a neighbors scrap Dyson (had a ghastly mauve plastic flex hose on it)
    Coiled plastic covered spring flex hose from another old vacuum cleaner as a cover, tight fit. (was doing duty on my router fence)
    approx 150mm of softwood core force fit in ally tube and bored to 5/8"
    tool shaft clamping ferrule and end cap turned from Steel savaged from old farm bale lifting tine.
    Clamping brass 8mm bolt from surplus milking parlor mod kit.
    Knob turned from Oak offcut.
    and a bit of epoxy for bonding

______
_________Not the most sensible piece of wood to pick for bead detail. ___Click on images for larger view.
_________Whoever gets it will have to accept it warts and all.
________

________Spalted Sycamore (260mm dia.)

Very nice Chas, I especially like the grain pattern and overall shape. To be honest if it hadn't been for the close up would not have noticed the 'warts and all'

Steve :)

Ah but they are good quality, well finished warts Chas so they are in fact natural features, not defects...think rustic :lol:

Pete

Bodrighy":efx56yuj said:
..think rustic :lol:

Funny you should say that Pete, almost reached for the wire brush to enhance the features and Lemon Oil at one stage.

______
_________Pottery-ing with bits of Beech___Click on images for larger view.

________

___________Spalted Beech (180mm)_____Spalted Beech (200mm)

Latest posts

Back