Taming Turnings in 2010

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice Chas,

I love the bead,cove,bead on the rim , and I'm such a sucker for Spalted Beech.........

Nice rim detail Chas and it looks a nice glossy finish. What are you cutting the detail with,do I remember that you have some sort of special beading tool?

JT

johnny.t.":326by6u0 said:
Nice rim detail Chas and it looks a nice glossy finish. What are you cutting the detail with,do I remember that you have some sort of special beading tool?

JT
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post416246.html#416246
They are Ashley Isles Steels johnny.

They cost about £70 incl. post & vat. for the set (unhandled), cheating really on the skill front but so much quicker, easier and above all consistent that I'm glad I invested.

POC. [email protected]

They cut like a glorified scraper, the pointed wings help with the severing of the fibres first, still need to be aware of torn grain though and take appropriate action on endgrain.

I tend to form the beads at given points and work the form to blend between them.

______
_________Another 'warts and all' piece. ___Click on images for larger view.

________

______________________________Spalted Sycamore (290mm dia.)

______
_________Production of the basics starts again. ___Click on images for larger view.

________

________Cedar of Lebanon(176mm dia.)________Cedar of Lebanon(143mm dia.)

________

___________Yew (143mm dia.)___+++______Yew (120mm dia.)

Paul.J":g19ms5ts said:
Starting to catch up now :?:

_________Slowly Paul, two more done, just a couple of dozen more to go. Job fitting them in, the garden still needs a lot of attention.___Click on images for larger view.

________

______________Yew ____________(160mm dia.)

________ ]

______________Yew____________ (143mm dia.)

______
_________The collection grows. ___Click on images for larger view.

________

________ __
_________________Yew_____________________(140mm dia.)

________ __
__________________Yew____________________(130mm dia.)

Bit different to your norm Chas , chunky,bits missing!!:shock: A new direction developing?

The top right picture is nice, the beaded/rippled rim is a nice effect 8)

JT

johnny.t.":1oxuc3pq said:
Bit different to your norm Chas , chunky,bits missing!!:shock: A new direction developing?

The top right picture is nice, the beaded/rippled rim is a nice effect 8)

JT

Recipient wants Yew pieces, lots of smaller pieces of branch material full of knot splits etc been in store 2-3 years so am just trying to get the biggest pieces possible out of stock.
If it wasn't chunky it would have all ended up as shavings and it looks too attractive for that. :lol:

The beaded rim is something I want to try on much larger platters later on so am using these bits to experiment. The beads also take the eye away from some of the CA fixed splits.

Love the stepped beading on the top left, and the crispness of the top right. The two calabash forms at bottom are my favourite though.

Lovely wood, Lovely finish.

Regards
Laurence

If I didn't know better Chas I'd say you were wandering into the rustic side with some of these Chas. The ones with hevily beaded rims are certainly unusual. Not seen any with quite that level of beading bnefore. All immaculate as ever

Pete

Bodrighy":2jipvsdb said:
If I didn't know better Chas I'd say you were wandering into the rustic side with some of these Chas. The ones with hevily beaded rims are certainly unusual. Not seen any with quite that level of beading bnefore. All immaculate as ever

Pete
Rustic would be OK if I had the vision to see how I could use what I have, unfortunately it was all prepared for drying a couple of years ago with a view to small bowls etc. so turning natural edge is not possible for any sort of useable item.

Beads are an in thing at the moment whilst I get used to playing with the tools and the taming of endgrain tearout (they are basically scrapers) and this little lot are giving me an excuse to play on something other than scrap.

A few more odd ball bits coming off the lathe today with any luck.

______
_________Where did the day go, just three to show.___Click on images for larger view.

________

_____________Yew (140mm dia.)_____________Yew (130mm dia.)______________Yew (120mm dia.)

Back