Taming Turnings in 2010

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnny.t.":17uqqz98 said:
....Is the black area on the rim of the last one filled? If so what with?
JT
Well spotted Johnny, It's actually a Bark Inclusion infilled with fine used coffee grounds which come out much the same colouring when bonded with CA.

richburrow":3u0h27u5 said:
...I bet the polishing mop is getting a good work out.

They certainly are Rich, speeding things up no end on these little pieces, far easier to see and blend any sealer build streaks off the lathe and the ability to use Canauba or Microcrystaline instead of soft wax is an advantage as far as handling resistance of the finished item.

I mini batch process at the end of a session, going over several pieces with each stage of buffing thus reducing the time lost changing mops , this is not all that significant, only a matter of a few seconds to change over but I get some sort of perverse satisfaction out of doing it efficiently.

Eagerly awaiting Terrys suppliers to get their act together with smaller mops and more importantly alternate domed mops for the internals, am a bit restricted at the moment with what I have.

______
_________A couple more as a change from working the veg. patch.___Click on images for larger view.

________

______
_________That's that lot finished.___Click on images for larger view.

________

_____________Yew (135mm dia.)_____________Yew (125mm dia.)______________Yew (110mm dia.)

Paul.J":au46wkx8 said:
''''Have you had any split at all :?:

One or two of the 'rounds' you saw being prepared had peripheral splits that started to open up in this warm weather despite being 8-10% and I waxed them when spotted. Some of the shapes are the result of turning out the peripheral cracks.
Nearly all the the branch inclusions had star splits that needed CA stabilizing, didn't loose a complete blank though.

______
_________A Spalting we will go, just basics, the start of many more in similar vien .___Click on images for larger view.

________

johnny.t.":2eq4coyp said:
The first of these two is lovely Chas :D It looks like a crotch piece? Wouldn't have guessed it was Yew.

JT

Your Guess would have more than likely been correct johnny, :oops: they are Beech.

Not exactly a crotch but there was a branch spur somewhere on the piece.

______
_________Todays Spinny Fix. ___Click on image for larger view.
________

_____________________Spalted Beech (198mm dia)

______
_________One to fill the delivery box. ___Click on image for larger view.
________

CHJ":3cpyt3q9 said:
Eagerly awaiting Terrys suppliers to get their act together.

You and me both. I've resisted ranting too much but it's a wonder some companies stay in business!
They won't have mine for much longer.

______
________Something a little bigger to join the bits and pieces.___Click on images for larger view.

________
________

_____________Ash (203mm dia.)

________Was rather happy with these little bits the other day.
________

_____________Ash (80mm dia.)

Careful Chas, those last two are getting perilously close to looking like hollow forms :lol:

Just out of curiosity, seeing that you do a lot of what is more or less production turning how long does it take you to turn a bowl nowadays?

Pete

P.S. Immaculate work as always

Bodrighy":xms4ahlf said:
Just out of curiosity, seeing that you do a lot of what is more or less production turning how long does it take you to turn a bowl nowadays?
Far from production turning Pete, but I do some of the smaller offerings on a batch process basis.

Thinking about it it took about 1-3/4 hours to do the Ash Bowl above from the solid, the split wood log had been drying for a couple of years in an old greenhouse and was down to 8-10 % throughout, I rounded the blank on the bandsaw the other day whilst having a sort out.

I guess nearly a quarter of the time was spent repairing the knot and a split and fussing about the final finish which needed a few reworks by hand to remove blemishes that showed as the gloss was developed.

Thing that puzzles me is how come something as tough as a hunk of dried Ash to turn marks so easily when you are not looking.

______
________Some more oddments.___Click on images for larger view.

________
________ ___ ____
_______________Ash (135mm)_______________Black Poplar (90mm)______________Ash-Beech (140mm H)

Back