Tablesaw turntable

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WellsWood

Established Member
Reaction score
As mentioned elsewhere, I've been meaning to post this for absolutely ages, so here it is finally.

I'm not alone in having a tablesaw that is probably a bit too large for my workshop, but I wouldn't be without it for the world. Its a scheppach TS2500 with the fold down extension table and a sliding table with a 1400mm rail, so it's great for crosscutting panels as well as ripping up to about 1100mm between blade and fence. The problem as always is where to site it. If I arrange it for using the sliding table my outfeed length is limited to about 1200, and if I have it the other way round for ripping out over the assembly table I can't practically use the sliding table because it and the croscutting fence block my passage to the infeed side.

I have one spot where it will do both but only if I turn it through 90° between operations, and in the beginning I used the built in wheels to accomplish this which involves an awkward rigmarole of tipping the saw about 30° to engage the 2 wheels, turning it round, and tipping the other way to release the wheels and set it back on its feet. It worked OK but took too long, and more than once I slipped and put the thing down on my toe - it weighs 85Kgs, light compared to todays cast iron offerings, but it still smarts.

My problems didn't end there though. My floor is seriously out of level, about 20mm difference across the diagonal of the base, which makes moving it like this a PITA because I use my assembly table as the out feed on ripping, and because I absolutely hate wonky machines. Every time I moved it I had to level it with shims - more work. Also the thing seemed to go out of whack every time I lifted it up onto the wheels and was spending an inordinate amount of time resetting the sliding table in particular.

It didn't take long to come up with the answer, but it did take me a while to get round to it (as most things do :roll: ), What I needed was a turntable which I could level and then plonk the saw on top. That way all I'd ever need to do to change from one operation to another is to swivel it to the correct orientation. A sheet of 25mm MR MDF, a big bag of ½" ball bearings and a few happy hours with a router and trammel......

et voila!
copyofdsc0140.jpg

I used a homemade trammel to cut the circles from the sheet, and the same arrangement with a ½"core box cutter to make grooves with identical radii in each piece. Filled the grooves with the ball bearings, drilled throught the pivot point I'd used for the trammel to take an M10 bolt as an axle, and slapped the other piece with the identical grooves on top. Simples.

The saw is prevented from sliding around with "L" shaped bits of MDF screwed in place, and locking the position is achieved with a bit of 8mm rod and some strategically placed holes.
copyofdsc0128.jpg

It takes a matter of seconds to go from this,
copyofdsc0137.jpg

to this,
copyofdsc0131.jpg

No backache, no bruised toes, and no resetting of anything after I've put it down a bit too hard.

Thanks for looking.

What a great idea! I like it’s a lot and might use it myself :D

It would be even better if it were to incorporate a way of moving the turntable around the shop - mine is reasonably level so I don't have exactly the same problem as you.

The problem is that the addition of casters would seem likely to raise the saw too high - needs some thought...

Excellent.

My table saw is on an MDF base unit with castors so that it can be swivelled round fairly easily. But your solution is much tricker !

If I ever get a bigger workshop I will be employing that solution to the problem.

Cheers

Karl

I've seen it in action many times and it's probably the best workshop 'solution' I've ever seen. It's so simple.

I think fitting wheels might defeat the point somewhat. It works best in a static environment where you just need to flip between crosscut and ripping.

Mark's workshop is full of these little innovations. He should write a book!

I really like this idea, Mark. Good thinking! :wink:

Even for those of us without table saws, this could still be used with medium-large bandsaws, I think, which, because of their height, are awkward to move at the best of times. :)

If what Tom says is true then, come on, let's see some more of your innovations!! :twisted: :wink:

waterhead37":34r9alzl said:
What a great idea! I like it’s a lot and might use it myself :D

It would be even better if it were to incorporate a way of moving the turntable around the shop - mine is reasonably level so I don't have exactly the same problem as you.

The problem is that the addition of casters would seem likely to raise the saw too high - needs some thought...

Thanks Chris. I've racked my brains considerably on this to no avail, as very occasionally I would like to move the saw over to one side (when I need the space for bike servicing etc.). If I put castors on the turntable it would defeat it's purpose, as I'd immediately be back to square one with regard to the levelling issue - even a few inches of lateral movement throws it all out. You're right about the height too, it's already over 50mm higher than standard, any more would be too much for comfort. I reckon this is about as good as I'm going to get.

Simples, some rubber around the base hook up a small fan and RYMB a hover saw. :lol: Glide it anywhere in the shop. Not as entirely far fetched as some would think saw something like it on a medical program for transferring lumps from gurney to operating table.

Tom K":14bxohdm said:
Simples, some rubber around the base hook up a small fan and RYMB a hover saw. :lol: Glide it anywhere in the shop. Not as entirely far fetched as some would think saw something like it on a medical program for transferring lumps from gurney to operating table.

I'd like to say I hadn't considerd that, but sadly I did. With regard to moving the saw sideways I've also considered mounting the turntable on rails dug into the floor - but that would be going too far :roll:

Mark and I have never took turns to sit on it and spin round.... honest :roll: :wink:

Mark,

That was well worth waiting for! Thanks for showing this because it is a really ingenious solution to a common problem.

Brilliant!

Brendan

Hi Everyone,

The turn table is a great idea for solving the problem.

Simples, some rubber around the base hook up a small fan and RYMB a hover saw. Glide it anywhere in the shop. Not as entirely far fetched as some would think saw something like it on a medical program for transferring lumps from gurney to operating table.

I have thought of doing this for my tablesaw and jointer. Perhaps using my air compressor for the air supply. Small channels would be routed into 1/2 or 3/4 mdf for the sub base to distribute the air evenly all around. This could capped by plywood to take the weight of the machine. Has anyone tried this?

Dennis

hi

every now and then we get to see good ideas that are way above the drudge of the day , but this one gos right to the top, well done , it's so simple but brilliant a hugh time saver and with so little effort, at the very least you should manufacture the idea . hc 8) 8) 8)

Thanks for the kind comments HC.

To be honest I can't remember how many BBs. I seem to think I bought 250 (I have a bag of about 20 or so left over). There are 2 bearing runs, one just inside and one just outside of the feet to spread the load and stop any tendency for the top plate to sag over time. I've had no issues in the 2 years or so since I built it so the theory seems to be sound.

I originally looked around to buy something like a very large lazy susan, but there was nothing I could find that fell in between the table-top variety and huge industrial units (at huge industrial prices).

I must say I'm surprised, given how often the space v. tablesaw issue comes up, that I'm the only one to have done this - I'm glad I did though, it transformed the ease with which I can use my tablesaw in a limited sapce.

hi mark

yep i was thinking along those line , to be placed either side of the feet to spread the load , once i got my new sip 01332 due to arrive 3rd week in november then i can get some accurate measurement i can work out how many ball bearing i will need , doing this will solve several problems space wise when machine is not in use , and it will increase my assemble area as well hmm good . :D :D :wink: . hc

Nice one Martin, glad this has been of some use. Watch out for ball bearing prices, i paid around £12 per 100 from memory (whole thing came in around 50 squids), some of the prices I was getting from e-bay and online retailers were scary - one of the reasons I put it off for so long.

I'll look forward to seeing your efforts.

Latest posts

Back