Table saw adjustment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFC1047

Established Member
Reaction score
Before cutting today, I decided to check the alignment on my table saw and discovered that the blade appeared to be significantly out of alignment to the mitre sled track.
I checked it by setting the blade vertical using an engineers set scquare and happy with that.
With the alignment, I checked the front edge of the blade against the mitre track, set the set square, then checked the rear and the gap is quite easily visible, even in the photo attached.

I have looked under the saw bed and taken some photos..............I wonder if anyone can offer advice on how to get the blade alignment correct.

Attachments

• IMG_4273 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4273 (Medium).JPG
    228 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4270 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4270 (Medium).JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4271 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4271 (Medium).JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4272 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4272 (Medium).JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 99
adjust the table top.
I'd also check it with the blade a different heights to see if the swing is parallel.

I've checked the blade at different heights..............same result.
I know the top needs adjusting............I wanted some advice on how that is done. At the motor end of the table there are a couple of bolts fastening the saw assembly to the cast iron top. At the opposite end there appears to be similar, although they are painted over, as though they are part of the initial assembly.
I wondered if the 2 large rods had anything to do with setting the assembly parallel .
In the instruction book, it shows how to set the vertical and 45 degree stops, but it says the rest is factory set and there are no instructions on correcting my "problem"

it's hard to tell from the image, but it looks like the top supports the mounts rather than the box so I'd assume you need to adjust the mounts on the table, not the table on the steel box. what saw is it? it's going to help people give you correct information.
on mine the box supports the mounts and you adjust the table to the box.
does the blade spin true, i.e. does the measurement change when you spin the blade by hand?

AFAIAA, there are only two systems for mounting a TS cradle mechanism.

Either:
1. The cradle is attached to the frame and the top is bolted to the frame too, or
2. The top is bolted to the frame and the cradle is bolted to the top.

In case 1 above, there are probably 4 bolts, one at each corner. Slacken them off, rotate the top, retighten.
In case 2, the cradle is bolted to the top itself, so find those bolts, slacken, rotate the cradle, retighten.

Mine is case 1 and I did a complete setup in Workshop Essentials 7, Tablesaw Essentials. But the above is the essence of it.

Yes I am inclined to agree that the mounting of the blade assembly is onto the cast iron table. I think this is confirmed on the assembly instructions when you actually attach the table to the steel bax and legs.
The blade does spin true amd the measurement does not change.
I have had "discussions" on this table saw before, and although it is a great solid table, it is not manufactured anymore.
Photos of front of instruction book, plus exploded diagrams of "internals" in the hope someone has a bit of prior knowledge

Just seen the response from Steve Maskery ...........I have seen your video and I am inclined to think it is case 2 as you have described.........can you tell from the photos that case 2 is correct ?

Attachments

• IMG_4274 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4274 (Medium).JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4275 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4275 (Medium).JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4276 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4276 (Medium).JPG
    134 KB · Views: 78
Yes I think so. On your pic 2470, that big bolt at the top is holding the trunnion to the underside of the table. There should be 4 such bolts.

Correct Steve, I can slacken 2 of them quite easily, the one on the photo and its partner to the left, the other 2 on the opposite end of the table are a little tricky to get to..............I'm thinking one should be sufficient to allow some gentle persuasion to move it the required amount............fingers crossed.

Magic :D

Worked a treat .............a couple skinned knuckles but the blade is now parallel

Thanks very much for all your help

Back