Table design which needs to be sturdy & easy to disassemble

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anti-Powertools

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I need to build multiple tables which are really strong but easy to dismantle.
I'm working in the catering industry at the moment on a mobile van & we travel around a lot so i need a table design which is very simple to assemble/disassemble but is really strong due to lots of heavy bags of flour which will be placed on top of them.

I'm liking the look of these knock down trestle tables so far which are held together with some wedges which look great.

lee_AP_table_full.jpg

I'm just wondering how strong would it be and are there better designs out there for my needs. Should i use legs such as this one for example, are they stronger?

3645_1_ex.jpg

Here are the tables we are currently using which are rubbish!
61n_Gif_Qzsa_L_AA1500.jpg

So long as i can come up with something which looks good, is easy to assemble and can take more weight than those plastic/metal tables we currently use, my boss will be really happy :)

not sure if something like this would suit...I made it from moisture resistant MDF and used pocket screws. The legs are fitted with two bolts at each end, but takes about a minute to assemble/disassemble. When flat the legs grip the underskirt but you could put blocks to retain them with the bolts. you will need a spanner or cordless driver to assemble these but they are very rigid

100_4249.jpg

100_4250.jpg

100_4251.jpg

100_4252a.jpg

I havent got a picture of it 'flatpacked' but it takes up minimum space. This one has been in use in our study for years and gets dismantled when we need a guest room
Dave

Attachments

• 100_4249.jpg
    100_4249.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_4250.jpg
    100_4250.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_4251.jpg
    100_4251.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_4252a.jpg
    100_4252a.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 118
oddsocks":2u705oue said:
not sure if something like this would suit...I made it from moisture resistant MDF and used pocket screws. The legs are fitted with two bolts at each end, but takes about a minute to assemble/disassemble. When flat the legs grip the underskirt but you could put blocks to retain them with the bolts. you will need a spanner or cordless driver to assemble these but they are very rigid
Dave

Thanks for your response dave. Yeah the reason i was looking at the trestle table with wedges idea was so that we don't need bolts/screws etc.. incase they get lost when we're packing up and driving.

blackrodd":2qbeck61 said:
You don't say what weight these bags of flour will be.
A quick answer would be a real folding trestle table, or if 100 kg capability is enough, get a 6'6 x 2'6 ledge and brace door, put a frame around it to stiffen up if needs be, or make one from 1" T&G, and a pair of these folding trestles,--

http://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.co.uk ... AvH_8P8HAQ
Regards Rodders

Hi, Well a single bag of flour would be around 20/25kg & there would be approximately 6-10 bags on the table at one time, so i'd say it would need to withstand 170kg maybe a bit more...

Would the trestle table i've shown with wedges work for that kind of weight?

Have a look here for ideas. The furniture is intended for CNC cutting--the files are available--but you could cut them by hand if you want. You might also get some ideas for designing your own.

Table corner brackets
These allow for a trad looking table which is very easy to make and to dismantle. They are pretty tough too though I expect they come in a variety of sizes/strengths.
You don't lose the nuts by putting them back on the stud pronto after dismantling, but they will be standard threads if they do get lost. And you might lose wedges anyway

Thanks for the link Brentingby & Jacob

I should also mention i'm still at an early stage of my woodworking 'career', so i suppose i'm satisfied with the trestle because i've watched a lot of videos on youtube on how to make them and feel confident that i could replicate it. So i suppose i just need to know does that design fit my requirements and would the 'x shaped legs' be a stronger option & if so, are there any videos/links on how to make them.

Thanks

Anti-Powertools":19id591g said:
Thanks for the link Brentingby & Jacob

I should also mention i'm still at an early stage of my woodworking 'career', so i suppose i'm satisfied with the trestle because i've watched a lot of videos on youtube on how to make them and feel confident that i could replicate it. So i suppose i just need to know does that design fit my requirements and would the 'x shaped legs' be a stronger option & if so, are there any videos/links on how to make them.

Thanks
Nothing particularly strong about the X legs as they will rack from end to end unless braced by wide rails or diagonal brackets etc.

The trestle table in your picture looks a bit top heavy.
I'd go for two legs per side and two beams also.

dzj":ea83sttf said:
The trestle table in your picture looks a bit top heavy.
I'd go for two legs per side and two beams also.

Ok i can make sure i have a lighter table top. Can you send a picture of what you mean please :)

I think the double leg & double beam idea sounds good. Now then, does the thickness of the wood i use increase the strength of the table? For example, should i have thicker beams and legs.

t_2trestle4.jpg

Latest posts

Back