T&G board (matchboard)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senator

Established Member
Reaction score
Just interested to know what other tradesmen do when fixing T&G board to say F/L/B doors or as cladding particularly if it's hardwood. Do you face fix and pellet, face fix and fill, secret nail through the tongue, or screw from the back of bare faced rails then fill or pellet.

Hmm I just would not feel that the small amount of wood left behind groove could easily split away if at all under any stresses. I have usually face screwed and pelleted but have seen doors showing no fixings which makes me curious as to wether I am wrong.

Traditionally it'd be nailed from the front, clenched on the back, and painted.

Senator":1svftjy1 said:
Hmm I just would not feel that the small amount of wood left behind groove could easily split away if at all under any stresses. I have usually face screwed and pelleted but have seen doors showing no fixings which makes me curious as to wether I am wrong.

If you pre-drill for the panel pins it shouldn't split :D

Hi All
This is my first reply so please forgive if I am not doing this right.
I screw through the rails from the back and then pellet for FLB doors but I always elongate the clearance holes a bit to allow for wood movement (not sure if it does anything but I always do it)
Secret fix through the groove for cladding but would be a bit worried about using glue, again because of wood movement.

If you look at a ledge and brace door today, the t&g boarding is nailed through the face, with an airgun but they keep a 2 mm gap between the t&g boarding presumably for expansion/contraction etc.
HTH Regards Rodders

Back