Gluing braces on door to t@g ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m making a set of hard wood garage doors and won’t be using nails /pins to fit my t and g boards on they will have tenons and sit into the groove , Would like to know if anyone glues their braces onto the back of the boards and if that is a good way of doing it . Thanks

Ive got a feeling most will say no, you arent supposed to stop the t and g moving as necessary when it expands and contracts....

The T&G boards will have the grain perpendicular to the braces, if you glue them the differential expansion of the boards vs the braces will likely just fail the glue joint but you may end up with split boards. However with no fixing at all I'd be worried the boards will walk in the grooves over time and you could end up with a gap between boards, I'd be putting a single fixing into centre of a few boards through the batten to keep these ones in a fixed location but still allowing the board to move.

Back