Gluing Green Oak Board (to make a wide board!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Building Ben

Reaction score
Hi guys, I need a 330mm wide oak board to sit in the reveal of my garage door. I purchased a green oak board for the job, but someone said that the best thing to do was to rip it into 2 or 3 pieces and then glue back together, as otherwise it would inevitably get some significant bend in it.

What would be the best way to do this? Cut it and then biscuit joint it straight back together, or rotate one of the cut pieces 180 degrees and then glue back together, or something else.

Thanks

The advice given is exactly what I would do spinning the middle piece over, grain opposite or up down up, though that depends of cut of original plank! For me it is the green aspect! How green is green?

Not being sure of what the purpose of this is for, i.e for some sort of insulation, be it heat or noise,
or just for aesthetics or security,
Seems you want it to look well anyways.
Frame and panel construction with dry timbers, that is... if you wish for it to close a gap up,
and for it to remain as such, plus not splitting, and keeping the panels from warping too badly.

Be interested to see some suggestions on nice examples of such, should the requirement need to be non permanent, and possibly quite a bit more lightweight than a common door?
Just guessing.
Welcome to the forum by the way.

PS Getting hints you like the look of the likes of Peter Follansbee,
who instantly came to mind when I typed in Shaker panel construction for some examples.
All the best
Tom

Last edited:
Untitled.png

Yes its the green aspect for me too. With dry wood and waterproof glue it would be the way to go. That said if your board is quarter sawn or close to then it would not need that treatment.
Regards
John

It will shrink, sometimes considerably depending on which section you have and its moisture content. It's also best to let it float freely in the rebates of the door too, so there's lots to consider.

Back