Sycamore Cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattty

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello.
I was commisioned to make a cabinet to hold a clients CD collection and for his stereo to sit on.

They chose ripple Sycamore with AB Walnut for the details-
Sorry the photos (as usual) aren't the best.

DSCF2695.JPG

DSCF2698.JPG

DSCF2702.JPG

The proportions are slightly wrong- The drawers are too big but designed to hold a CD on Edge, inside the cabinet has 2 shelves and should hold around 300+ CD's.

Merry Christmas,

Mattty

That'll do it! Proper Job! Very nice Matty.

I ventured outside today to find my stash of Sycamore almost certainly ruined :( Stupid weather.

Very nice Matt. These sideboards are getting regular for you.

Out of interest approximately what would you charge for such a thing? The reason I ask is that I priced a not dissimilar item for a friend of a friend recently and although I'm sure I was cheap it was way above what they expected. I kind of knew that would be the case before I started mind you.

Cheers, Ed

Very nice Matty. Did you get the sycamore from John Boddies? Is the ripple effect from quarter sawn boards?

Very nice, Mattty. Really like that sycamore! Thanks for sharing. :)

Have you used one continuous length to do all the drawer fronts? I can't quite tell from the photos.

Only thing I would've done differently would be to use an odd number of boards for the top, to avoid a centre line (but, maybe that's just me...! :D). It partly depends on what you buy/what widths are available. Or, if you join up boards that are too narrow, it almost makes a piece look mass-produced.

It looks like you may have offset the centre line using two different widths though - that's interesting. :)

Mattty":1nsa4k89 said:
Thanks for all the comments chaps.

Ed, this one is about £2000.

Thats good to know, thats around what I would have said so I know my price radar is not a mile off.

Ed

Well that piece certainly hits the spot for me Mattty. Nice to see, for the majority, native timber being shown off. I also like your use of the accent timber - just the right proportion for my taste. As they say pictures say a thousand words so keep posting in 2010; hopefully I'll find time to build a "postworthy" piece myself sometime (I wish!).
Cheers John

Mattty - nice job. I think if I were doing it I'd have set the door handles lower down, on maybe not used them at all (some sort of magnetic 'push to open' catch?) - Rob

A beautiful looking cabinet and the drawer dovetails look immaculate.
As an amateur trying to summons up the courage to break away from pine for cabinet work could you give me an approximate idea of the cost of the main wood you used for this. I have the feeling that the step up to something better than the yellow pine I am currently using would be quite shock to the system.
thanks.
Simon

Like it Matt, you're knocking these out pretty quickly and keeping the quality high. Don't know if it was a customer requirement or not but the only thing that doesn't quite gel for me is the top, a bit too slab like, needs some relieving.

Where do you get nice sycamore like that round here?

Latest posts

Back