Walnut Plane storage cabinet wall mounted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markturner

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have not had much time lately to make anything of any note, but the arrival of my new Felder CF741 Pro universal machine has filled me full of enthusiasm and made me put aside some time as often as possible to crack on make this project, which I have been planning for some while. Its going to be a little bit of a cheat, in that when I made the cabinet for my swords, I made a set of doors the wrong size, so this project will use them and save me time making. It does however mean that superficially they will look quite similar, although this project will much more complex in terms of the joinery, as you will be able to see all of it and it will be free hanging on the wall. Also, it will be pretty darn heavy and will need all the internal storage cubby holes etc, something the other cabinet did not have. I have been scouring this forum for previous projects threads, for ideas and solutions, and was pretty impressed by some of them, like Wakas's....

I wanted to make some drawers for the bottom of the cupboard, current plan is to use some pillow maple I have as a bit of contrast for the frontals...what do you think?

So, I made up a plan using CAD software to help me visualize how it would work and all fit together. It was not a complete design and cutting list, but it was enough to get started.

So, my first step was to make the face frame from solid walnut that would mount on top of the cabinet carcass and the doors would hang from. Then I could make the carcass to suit. I ran down the stock on the new saw..awesome to use and so much easier with a sliding carriage...it would be slightly bigger all round than the carcass and I decided to have a recessed vertical bar between the doors, for them to shut on to, rather than between them. Here is the frame being sized around the doors before glueing up:

I dominoed the mitred corners together then went over the joints with a low angle block plane before some sanding. Here is the completed frame next to the doors I made last year....the wrong size.. :oops:

Frame complete, I could now start thinking about the cabinet itself. I realized that hanging on the wall, the sides would be visible, so screwing together would not be good.....despite the strength advantage Instead, I chose to use an idea from F&C magazine of dadoed solid corner pieces, which would mean no visible fixings and also give me chance to see what the new saw could do...!

And here they are dry fitted to the rebated cabinet sides:

I wanted the whole cabinet to look nice, even the back, which would normally be against the wall, so I lipped all the rear edges of the plywood making up the sides, here being glued on:

Then I had to sit down and think long and hard about how I would glue it together and how the back and dividers would all attach. I decided to use french cleats to hold it to the wall, so the back had to be substantial, so I used beech veneer 18mm MDF. The centre divider which would be seen in the finished article was of course from walnut veneered material. In the end, I decided it would have to be glued up in stages, from the bottom up, with the back panels sliding done in dado's in the cheeks and the top going on last. So I glued the two bottom corners to the bottom, then the next day, was able to carry on dry fitting and trimming all the components to fit perfectly in advance of the final glue up.

I also had to consider how the french cleats would attach, so came up with the plan to fix through from both sides of the back panel, which would not be seen in the completed project and to also make them wider than the back so I could recess them partly into the side panels, thus letting them carry a lot of the weight.

To be continued.......

OK, another installment..........

I managed to make sure it all fitted and got it glued up and then mounted on the wall. I don't have pictures of the back, as I hung on the wall before I took them, and I am using it wall mounted to do the rest of the build, so will post the pictures of the back and the french cleat mounts when I take it off the wall next, which will be after I have made and fitted all the dividers to form the cubby holes. here is the carcass going together:

The corners glued:

And hanging on the wall, with the finished face frame:

The dividers is the next job, I am making them from 12mm ABW veneeed MDF with solid lippings. There is quite a few to make and I have started although its slow work as each needs about 6 clamps to be made and I only have enough clamps of that size to do 2 at a time......I need to make 12 pieces.

OK< I now have the cubby holes made and fitted, but not complete....bit of a mission, I decided to route out dado's for the horizontal dividers, and slot it all together. I rounded the lippings so they appear nicely smooth from the front on the router table. so:

Dividers ready to be lipped up:

The dividers lipped and shaped:

The slots for the horizontals being routed:

Time for a test run to see how they all fit:

Time to glue up and get them fitted in:

You can see here I am starting to cut and test fit the angled ramps from 12mm MDF that the base for the planes to sit on will attach to:

Both sides completed and fitted, one set of 6mm MDF bases made:

Time for a test run to see how the planes sit:

Now got to make all the bases and work out bets way of holding planes in position. Have been getting some advice re magnets in the general forum.........

Cheers, Mark

Ok, time for another update.......

Been working on the cubby hole bases and the solution to the potential problem of the planes overbalancing on the ramps. Which possibly could happen on some of the smaller ones. I decided to look at the bases of the cubby holes, did some forum reading and cork seemed quite popular, so I did a test piece and it seemed ok. So started gluing on the cork sheet to the bases, then tried out one with the Magnets....no good really and the cork was too thin really.

So had scrap the bases I had glued up and start again. Tried some Alcantara I had left over from a box base first......looked OK, but I was not sure:

I spent quite some time experimenting with magnets and came up with the solution that they really only work with no wood between the metal. I mounted the magnets on some blocks, angled to match the ramps:

I also dominoed up the face frame and dry fitted it over the carcasse, which you can see in the photos.

I was also not happy with the alcantara, so did some hunting on ebay and found some great textured, recycled leather in a nice dark chocolate brown. Was only £12 for enough as well........

It worked brilliantly with the magnets, I had to forstner bit away a 20mm hole right over each Magnet and then evo stikked the leather over the bases and wrapped around the back. It looked very nice:

So, away I went, there were few to do and it took several days, a few hours here and there, which all I get to do this....

I could not resist putting a bit of oil on to see what it will look like finished:

I am very pleased..........

So, ready to think about the drawers now

You seem to have left out the photos of the planes being used to make the cabinet...but
I'll keep watching!

The next stage is the drawers....... there will be 4 slim drawers at the bottom, I have been debating whether to use traditional method - I have not done this before and the whole point of all the stuff I do is to learn new methods and techniques. But the design of the unit does not make it easy to use this method. The face frame overhangs the cabinet sides and I have decided that I will leave traditional drawer construction to the next project I have lined up, a desk for the wife. However, I will make all the drawer boxes with handcut dovetails.

With some help from forum members, I have found some ball race double extension runners the correct size, which should work well.

I decided to use some nice maple I had - we removed a kitchen form a job that had solid maple shaker doors, and thought they might come in handy one day ...that day is now! The stiles of the doors are all 18mm and approx 80mm wide, so great for box making and in this case, small drawer sides. So I started ripping down the doors and removing the panels, leaving me with some decent strips of solid maple. I had to dimension these to about 12mm thick and 60mm high. Once I had it all dimensioned, some obligatory handplaning to smooth all the surfaces and we are ready to dovetail.......

It's been approx a year since I last did this and the first one was not great......but I had a few to do, and over the course of 2 weekends, I managed to complete them all. I have experimenting with different saws, and find my japanese dozuki gives the best results.

I did the last set of tails using the bandsaw and a simple taper jig - these were very tight and I may use this method in future. If it's good enough for David Charlesworth, it will do for me! Although, if I don't practice using the handsaw, I wont improve....

Phew....all done......

One thing I did find...I have had to start wearing glasses for close up stuff a solid day of working on dovetails has made me very sore in the back and have a bad headache..using the glasses does not agree with me, when I look up, its like I am drunk, so I have ordered a nice magnifying worklamp I can use instead. I also treated myself to the components of a Moxon vice, from Benchcrafted.com, to raise the working height on bench another 6 inches or so, as bending over was killling my back.....

So, the next stage is the drawer frontals. I made final adjustments to the fit and then started to install the drawer boxes into the cabinet:

I made some push fit drawer bottoms, covered in the same textured leather I used for the cubby hole bases:

I had decided that I would try and incorporate something new into each new piece I make, and for this , it would be veneering. I visited capital crispin and came away with lovely burr walnut sheets.

I made up the drawer frontals from more 18mm birch ply and lipped them all round with solid walnut:

Then planed them all up to fit in the opening.

As this was my first attempt at veneering, I had to make a few purchases, such as a bag press kit, veneer saw and also make up some platens from some spare corian I had. Also had to invest in some special cold press glue - was given some great help on all this on the main forum, so thanks.

After careful laying it out, I cut the veneer to fit each frontal. I was ready to try the veneering. I mixed up some glue and tried some test pieces first, just to get an idea of how long it stayed workable etc. Then it was time to bite the bullet and try the real thing. once you start, you are committed, so it was a bit nerve racking. in the bag with the frontals, seal it up and turn on the pump..........then a very tense 6 hour wait.

Final batch of pictures and the finished result next installment.........

Thanks to everyone who has commented kindly on my efforts.

That's going to be a great cabinet when it's finished.

One question - the rail/stile arrangement on the doors - why? I did read through your post, but couldn't see an explanation.

Cheers

Karl

Back