Walnut Plane storage cabinet wall mounted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great build, looks very professional.
I have to echo Karl though, whats going on with those doors?

Well, when I made them , a little over a year ago, I made a mistake in the dimensioning, hence having to make them that way. I could not face starting again and wasting the wood, so made them anyway.

To be honest, I had not given it a second thought since then.. But yes, they are not strictly right are they. I will call it artistic licence and pretend they are supposed to be like that! Its all a learning curve, I find each piece I try - this is the 6th thing I have made since I started teaching myself this 2 years ago ( I have made 4 boxes, another cabinet for my swords and my workbench) and each has some mistakes in it. Each mistake is a lesson learnt and part of the process I think.

I am glad you all like it, I am very proud of it I must say - it was a real challenge to design and build it. But hugely enjoyable.

cheers, Mark

markturner":34vcwxpp said:
Well, when I made them , a little over a year ago, I made a mistake in the dimensioning, hence having to make them that way. I could not face starting again and wasting the wood, so made them anyway.

To be honest, I had not given it a second thought since then.. But yes, they are not strictly right are they. I will call it artistic licence and pretend they are supposed to be like that! Its all a learning curve, I find each piece I try - this is the 6th thing I have made since I started teaching myself this 2 years ago ( I have made 4 boxes, another cabinet for my swords and my workbench) and each has some mistakes in it. Each mistake is a lesson learnt and part of the process I think.

I am glad you all like it, I am very proud of it I must say - it was a real challenge to design and build it. But hugely enjoyable.

cheers, Mark

Good honest answer, if this is only your 6th item then you are doing very well. The proportions look great as well as the execution.
I think the doors stand out a bit to me as I make them day in day out.
Keep up the good work.

awesome cabinet!! wouldn't even notice the doors! had to go back to see what they were talking about! if i had a few more planes I might make one :)
great work and i love ur justification for buying new tools :)
nice workshop set up for 2 years at it!
Regards Rick

nice workshop set up for 2 years at it!

Thanks, although I am a carpenter and kitchen installer of over 30 years, so I have collected a lot of the stuff along the way, I am lucky enough for my main business to be able to fund this as an offshoot of the activities. The furniture making is new to me though, I decided to teach myself as I really missed making stuff on site ( I sit behind a desk a lot of the day now.....) I just extended our mezzanine floor and built the workshop you see a few months ago, so its still pretty new. There is a thread and a video tour in this forum earlier if you are interested.

Cheers, Mark

OK Folks, here it is, the final installment..........

Despite the worries, the veneering went pretty well.....If anything, I probably used slightly too much glue, as you can see below from the shots when they came out of the bag:

i was a bit unsure how best to deal with trimming the frontals, without damaging the fragile veneer overhang, but figured out using a chisel on the bulk of it and then a plane and then my trusty festool laminate trimmer to clean it up properly. I also had to decide whether to leave the veneer flush with the edge , but decided in the end to put a very small champfer all around:

So, with the frontals cleaned up and profiled, I was ready to fit them. The bottom two were easy, as I could align and clamp from above, then screw fix from behind. But the top two were trickier, as there was no way of clamping them in position when shut. In the end, I decided to use contact adhesive and let them dry in position, then screw through. it worked fine.

I then applied the finish, i always ues the Festool surfix one step oil, its really nice, does not dry sticky, and gives a beautiful smooth silky sheen, it also smells really nice and does not stick to your hands! Anyone who has not used it should try it, they do 3 types, heavy duty, outside, for furniture, the one step is the one to use. You can add wax over the top if you like as well.

I then added the knobs for the doors and drawers, just some simple small solid brass ones that I thought went pretty well with the overall design.

And finally, it was done!! here are the pictures:

I am chuffed to bits with it, and it was a great learning experience, I hope you all enjoy the finished result as much as me,

Thanks, Mark

Absolutely spectacular! Beautiful work. I'd have been tempted to do the drawers in a high gloss finish as a complete contrast as they are already so different. Great work, what's next?

Bloody hell Mark i can only dream of being able to plan and make something as good as that =D> =D> =D>
If dreams come true i might get some of those little gem's inside as well :ho2

Regards

Mark

Top work Mark.

My earlier comment re: doors. I think they look great, cock up or not. Something a bit different.

Edit - the only thing which I think detracts from the overall piece is the use of side mount drawer runners. Just lessens the workmanship.

Cheers

Karl

Thank you very much for all your kind words, its gratifying when fellow enthusiasts and professionals are so complimentary. In answer to "whats next?" Well, it was supposed to be copy of this desk: http://www.darestudio.co.uk/products/ta ... akana-desk
which was going to stretch me a little further, including my first try at a traditional drawer without modern runners, however, swmbo has insisted it has to a piece of built in furniture for the impending reorganisation of our lounge.
Not quite as exciting, but it pays to keep her sweet!!
However, I will start deconstructing the desk design and working out how it would be made....its quite a challenging piece.

thanks again, Mark

Back