Supersizing a female figurine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would experiment in a piece of the wood you have used to make the hat, focusing on the 'end grain'

So having raided the art cupboard I've found solid purple and right at the back I found purple glitter paint.
20230310_181505.jpg
20230310_181455.jpg

Looking at it in the bottle I realise it may be too much so I'll test paint the broken hat and see how that looks.
I don't mind a Matt finish if the purple is deep enough so would probably have to do several coats and lose the wood grain, I guess it will depend on how it dries into the thin wood, think I'm gonna have to turn some teat pieces to see how they dry on thin curved and flat surfaces

The flatter hat looks good. Will it warp and add character over time too?
The hats are very very dry (I don't have a moisture meter) so unlikely to warp much although they will move a little once I take them into the house, I have humidity of over 45% in the house thanks to my 700ltr fish tank

Bear in mind that kind of "tempera" is more "transparent bulker" ( often magnesium stearate or some material with similar properties which is transparent when in suspension so as to take on the colour of the more expensive pigments or dies that is is in suspension with in the vehicle / medium ) than pigment or dye.So the colour will not be so intense, if you use just one coat, and it will be more vivid if you firstly apply a base coat / sealer which is matt white.paints described as tempera ( both classic and modern ) tend to have fragile surface films ( they rub off or mark easily ) so need protecting with "clear".If you are putting clear over ( be it water or "solvant" based ) make sure that the tempera doesn't "lift".Spray on is better ..Clear varnish in a spray can , gloss varnish has more "protectors" in than does matt varnish ( same applies to paints ) thus , you get a more durable finish surface if you apply a gloss finish and then "matt" it with says scotch pads or sandpaper than if you use a finish which is designed to be matt straight from the can.

Some spray can clear finishes can be a bit "hot" ( fairly active solvants ) so try any over your tempera ( or any other paints ) on a scrap piece and leave it for an couple of hours until you can be sure that it isn't going to "crackle".some clears will do that over wood too.Their solvants* will dissolve any oil or resin residues in the wood ( even what appears to be dry wood ) and bring them to the surface.

The solvants in spray can finishes ( clears and paint ) are way more active than white spirit.

Your paint looks to have a high percentage of clear bulk medium to pigment / dye ration.The edge of the paint layer at the top is nearly clear . The "paint" is probably closer to a dye in a matt medium, than to a pigment in a matt medium, or has very small pigment particles, and so has that transparent coloured dye look.It will be bright over white, and reasonably intense looking , but thin.Probably made for painting on paper ( like office paper ) or papers that have been artificially whitened, even some expensive "art paper" has whiteners added.

Our cat says "Hi" to your fish .

Last edited:
Bear in mind that kind of "tempera" is more "transparent bulker" ( often magnesium stearate or some material with similar properties which is transparent when in suspension so as to take on the colour of the more expensive pigments or dies that is is in suspension with in the vehicle / medium ) than pigment or dye.So the colour will not be so intense, if you use just one coat, and it will be more vivid if you firstly apply a base coat / sealer which is matt white.paints described as tempera ( both classic and modern ) tend to have fragile surface films ( they rub off or mark easily ) so need protecting with "clear".If you are putting clear over ( be it water or "solvant" based ) make sure that the tempera doesn't "lift".Spray on is better ..Clear varnish in a spray can , gloss varnish has more "protectors" in than does matt varnish ( same applies to paints ) thus , you get a more durable finish surface if you apply a gloss finish and then "matt" it with says scotch pads or sandpaper than if you use a finish which is designed to be matt straight from the can.

Some spray can clear finishes can be a bit "hot" ( fairly active solvants ) so try any over your tempera ( or any other paints ) on a scrap piece and leave it for an couple of hours until you can be sure that it isn't going to "crackle".some clears will do that over wood too.Their solvants* will dissolve any oil or resin residues in the wood ( even what appears to be dry wood ) and bring them to the surface.

The solvants in spray can finishes ( clears and paint ) are way more active than white spirit.

Your paint looks to have a high percentage of clear bulk medium to pigment / dye ration.The edge of the paint layer at the top is nearly clear . The "paint" is probably closer to a dye in a matt medium, than to a pigment in a matt medium, or has very small pigment particles, and so has that transparent coloured dye look.It will be bright over white, and reasonably intense looking , but thin.Probably made for painting on paper ( like office paper ) or papers that have been artificially whitened, even some expensive "art paper" has whiteners added.

Our cat says "Hi" to your fish .
A lot of that went overhead but I think I understood enough 🤔😁 going to do a few samples, pretty sure there's some acrylic poster paints somewhere too.

My view from the sofa

16784798828153695642351661736131.jpg

i have shown him the picture, he thinks there is a lot of veg in your fish soup.is the smaller beige fur sofa occupied, he thinks the view from there would be even better as there appears to be a tank of cat food within easy reach.He is not sure about the picture though.

Stig. Good luck with the finish. You go to all that work and then spoil the job by the finish. Happened to me today. Made a slightly unusual bowl from a tangerine tree at ours and coloured it slightly yellow. The other half didn't hold back, said it looks terrible! It was friction polish I put on and think that the shellac & linseed oil didn't do it any favours.
Test on some scrap 1st and just make sure you're happy with the result. I'm sure you'll nail it. 🖒🖒🖒

i have shown him the picture, he thinks there is a lot of veg in your fish soup.is the smaller beige fur sofa occupied, he thinks the view from there would be even better as there appears to be a tank of cat food within easy reach.He is not sure about the picture though.
The dog bed does have an occupant and she has a big sister, unfortunately the Springer in the middle is no longer with us but Olive and Tia keep us busy enough 😁
IMG-20220606-WA0017.jpg

Stig. Good luck with the finish. You go to all that work and then spoil the job by the finish. Happened to me today. Made a slightly unusual bowl from a tangerine tree at ours and coloured it slightly yellow. The other half didn't hold back, said it looks terrible! It was friction polish I put on and think that the shellac & linseed oil didn't do it any favours.
Test on some scrap 1st and just make sure you're happy with the result. I'm sure you'll nail it. 🖒🖒🖒
100% gonna do some test pieces first, I have some decent sized pieces of the exploded lampshade shape style so will use those and will turn some thin flat pieces to test those too as I expect the paint may finish differently on a curved surface to a flat one and the wood may distort differently too.

Great picture. :) Lovely dogs, we miss all those we have had down the years terribly, likewise all our past cats, the pony and the goats we had to find a new home for when we moved up here.Our cat misses our last dog if truth be told, he still goes to look for her in her "corner" under my desk when he comes across one of her toys.She planted an avocado in the garden in her last year, ( she used to sneak them out of the fruit bowls, and also walnuts and cherries ) it is now 1.60m high and thriving ( winters here are rarely below -2 or 3, but it has survived a -5 and some snow with just some frost burnt leaves ) .She is buried in the shade of her avocado, directly above her is the cat's favorite garden spot in summer.

Great picture. :) Lovely dogs, we miss all those we have had down the years terribly, likewise all our past cats, the pony and the goats we had to find a new home for when we moved up here.Our cat misses our last dog if truth be told, he still goes to look for her in her "corner" under my desk when he comes across one of her toys.She planted an avocado in the garden in her last year, ( she used to sneak them out of the fruit bowls, and also walnuts and cherries ) it is now 1.60m high and thriving ( winters here are rarely below -2 or 3, but it has survived a -5 and some snow with just some frost burnt leaves ) .She is buried in the shade of her avocado, directly above her is the cat's favorite garden spot in summer.
My two still look for their sister on occaision, so do we truth be told, we lost her in July last year so it's still a little raw but we console ourselves with the knowledge that she had 15 amazing years with us and the end was quick and painless, she just got old and stopped.

That's a nice tale about your dog and that she's buried under the avocado tree she planted! I hope that the tree provides some fruit as will be a sweet reminder of her. Our avocado tree has been planted for years but haven't had any fruit. May need another for cross pollination or more years but hopefully will get some one day.

So the glitter paint seems to be little more than purple PVA and glitter, didn't give the look I was after, I painted the lampshade style hat with the solid purple and although it took 3 coats before the wood stopped showing through it's pretty much what I wanted so will do the flat rimmed hat during the week.
20230312_174502.jpg
20230312_174458.jpg
20230312_174345.jpg

Lady P is beautiful. Lovely job.
Fred
Thanks Fred, still a long way to go, the cracks are slowly stabilizing I think but there's still a lot of moisture to come out so still doing daily oil applications, probably a few more weeks at least before I drill the dowel holes to join the two halves together and attach the hat.

Thanks Fred, still a long way to go, the cracks are slowly stabilizing I think but there's still a lot of moisture to come out so still doing daily oil applications, probably a few more weeks at least before I drill the dowel holes to join the two halves together and attach the hat.
Lady P is beautifully designed and executed. The grain of the oak. Wow

Back