Strangest Place Name

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drive through this village every evening and there's usually a tourist having his/her photo taken next to the sign.... and sometimes they even get stolen.

condomjpg.jpg

I was in Mavis Enderby a few weeks ago...............

Maybe I ought to rephrase that :-k

During a visit to the East coast, earlier this month, I visited the village of Mavis Enderby

I think Penistone is pronounced Pennisstun. Wasn't there a Nether Piddle to go with Wyre Piddle too?

On a road trip round the states years ago me and brother were passing through Utah I think and looking out for amusing place names, found a Hurricane and then a Leeds. Arrive at a motel in the evening and the lovely lady running it asked if we'd come in via so and so route as it was very pretty and had lovely views, we said no we came in via the interstate but didn't have the heart to tell her that the only reason we did was so that we could take our pictures next to the roadsign in a little place called Beaver

One in Glastonbury, 'Leg of Mutton Road'

Made me chuckle last week, when i had to do a job in Blackpool, saw signs for 'Hardhorn'

Lane where school bus used to stop, Cowpath lane, the 'h' forever being tip-exed out :lol:

Theres also Piddlehinton, and Piddletrenthide (nr Dorchester)

Isn't there a Lickey End, aswell, somewhere....

I remember a few years ago passing through a place named 'World's End' I think it was close to Portsmouth or on the way there! :lol:

lurker":12lc0epp said:
I was in Mavis Enderby a few weeks ago...............

Maybe I ought to rephrase that :-k

During a visit to the East coast, earlier this month, I visited the village of Mavis Enderby
:shock: I know Mavis in Enderby :shock:

One placename that always tickles me is 'Barton in the Beans' apparently they used to grow a lot of Broad Beans in the area.

There And Back Again Lane, Bristol.

It is a dead end off The Triangle.

Latest posts

Back