Strange sharpening grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianf

Established Member
Reaction score
Whilst going through my friends workshop, i found this -

(photos will get bigger if you click on them)

Its clearly meant for chisels and the like. You set the angle by the protrusion on the scale, and swap between the two wheels.

My question -

Do dry grinders like this work in any resonable way? Im guessing theyre really only much good for initial profiling, and the edge would always have to be finished up afterward.

It caught my eye as id not seen one before, and then i started wondering about my 10" thicknesser blades. I have a chipped set which, it seems, will cost me more to send away for resharpening than to buy a new set (which seems pretty wastefull) so im wondering if this device may do them - although i thin i would have to remove a wheel, to gain travel.

There are loads of this class of tool about which are next to useless for anything at all - is this one of those?

Really, im only wanting higher level discussion - i realise the fine art of sharpening brings out all sorts, and im not wanting to provoke things in that direction!

Not the same thing Julian but I have one of these for my Kity planer knives and it works well though I give them a quick rub on a diamond stone afterwards. So in principle it should work af you can clamp and adjust the angle properly.

Its the jig and cupped wheel I have in the pic not the std grinding stone.

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 800
For a planer, you would need a stop to limit the rotation of the blade, so that the whole surface ground is coplanar. Looks as if you might be able to do that on that machine.

I grind mine with the Tormek planer jig, which works very well, and as you says saves money and material!

Im not sure that you can hold the rotation - the holder slides along the chrome bar, so i cant see there would be a way of locking the rotation - assuming im understanding you correctly?

Ill look again at the tormeks for reference, but i thought they just slid along a bar also, so possibly i dont understand you!

Julian

In the Tormek, yes they slide along a bar, but the amount they can rotate downwards is limited by a fine screw adjustment. You stop grinding when this screw stops you taking any more off. So it does ensure a coplanar surface.

Keith

A quick google shows temtool to be an Australian company.

It appears they made microtome and guillotine sharpeners, as well as this wood tool sharpener.

I found people asking for (and not getting) information on two Aussie WW forums.

BugBear

Back