Strange Food Habits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billw

The Tattooed One
Reaction score
Hurrah for another random thread. This time - the peculiarities of your food likes and dislikes.

Mine:-
1. I like almonds, but hate marzipan
2. I like cold tuna, raw or cooked, but can't eat it warm
3. I like salmon if it's smoked but not poached/pan fried/roast
4. I eat the gherkins in McDonalds

LOVE gherkins - I recently found jars of gherkin slices in my local Tesco reduced to pennies a jar, and bought a load. They're nearly all gone.

- I quite like raw mushroom, but cooked mushroom has the flavour and consistency of a pencil eraser
- sweetcorn is the food of the devil. Apart from the dreadful taste, and a texture that puts my teeth on edge, why eat something that the human stomach can't digest. Horrific stuff.

I love crinckle cut pickled beetroot but no other way. I only eat cornflakes if mixed in with a crushed wheatabix brick and full cream milk. Which is much better than Bubba, whom I shared a room and guard shift with for 3 months at Greenham Common, he only ate cornflakes with half a pint of cocoa-cola poured into the bowl

Last edited:
Beetroot is weird. Without the vinegar it tastes like mud - why would you eat that? With vinegar, all is forgiven, but why not just drink the vinegar neat? We grow beetroot most years, and wonder why, most years. Very easy to grow, always successful, but what's the point?

Beetroot does actually taste pretty good in a yoghurt dip. Something like this: Greek Υogurt beetroot salad (a Greek delicacy)

summertime treat with the BBQ........
uncooked mushrooms and tomato sauce.....
horse radish source spread thinly on fresh bread with a few Tuna flakes....

on a cold day out Greek Chicken Gyros....as u cant get fish n chips....hahaha...

Beetroot is weird. Without the vinegar it tastes like mud - why would you eat that? With vinegar, all is forgiven, but why not just drink the vinegar neat? We grow beetroot most years, and wonder why, most years. Very easy to grow, always successful, but what's the point?

Beetroot does actually taste pretty good in a yoghurt dip. Something like this: Greek Υogurt beetroot salad (a Greek delicacy)
Try pickling it with cinnamon.

Raw beetroot grated onto salads is ok as long as you don't overdo it, but yes it tastes far better pickled. Mind you aren't gherkins nicer than cucumber too? And pickled onions?

The only thing not nicer when pickled is your liver.

I once craved leaf greens for months. My neighbour used to bring round a Tescos shopping bag bulging with Spinach ever few days .

I'm a firm believer that the body tells us what it needs to balance out deficiencies in Minerals and Vitamins or balance the bodies PH.
Have you noticed that most of these cravings are essentially either very alkaline or acidic !

Pickled beetroot is disgusting, boiled/sweet is delightful.
Anything with vinegar is a definite no from me, the smell alone turns my stomach (salt and vinegar crisps, bleagh). Only exception is well done chicken/pork aspic cant be eaten without vinegar. Go figure. I do love pickles though. And sauerkraut.
Corn is evil. So are sweet potatoes.
What a hell is marmite anyway ? (i know what it is :D )
I love dill, especially dill flavored mayo and dill flavoured crisps, which is my absolute vice.
Not liking chicken on a bone, but love chicken in general.
Cant stand any soft fatty bits on meat dishes, but love salo (salted/smoked pork belly).
Cant stand paper bread, love proper dark rye breads.

I'm particular to eastern european/baltic cuisine, so i would rate high as a culinary weirdo among UK/western food lovers. Bright pink colored cold vegetable soup, anyone ? :D (Cold borsht).

- sweetcorn is the food of the devil. Apart from the dreadful taste, and a texture that puts my teeth on edge, why eat something that the human stomach can't digest. Horrific stuff.
90732368_223214372376924_6877420080410394624_o.jpg

That's another misrepresented/understood 'fact'. The human body digests sweetcorn just fine but has no way to break down the outer cellulose cells - so if you swallow it whole it may well reappear at the other end, but as long as you chew your food, the body digests it just fine and gains quality nutrition from doing so.

My bro got sick of chucking out broccoli stalk, so we experimented. Found a good way is very thinly sliced disks used for dipping in eg houmous/hummus, (please don't open up the h/h argument 😳), along with carrot sticks and peppers.

That's another misrepresented/understood 'fact'. The human body digests sweetcorn just fine but has no way to break down the outer cellulose cells - so if you swallow it whole it may well reappear at the other end, but as long as you chew your food, the body digests it just fine and gains quality nutrition from doing so.

Yeah, I know - but I used to like annoying my ex (who loved sweetcorn) by saying it.

It's still revolting, though.

Hate all condiments and creamy foods. Love ghost pepper flakes. Hate vinegar, but love a dill spear with a cheeseburger (can't stand it without the burger, though). Love sweet foods, hate hate hate sweet wines and champagne.

Latest posts

Back