Strange Food Habits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love most berries as a fruit, but hate berries in baked goods or pretty much flavoring anything.

Some decidedly peculiar people on here - although I would be unable to claim my own tastes were any less bizarre.

However there is apparently quite a strong genetic component in food preferences - it may have been fundamental to survival in times gone by.

Do those with a Viking heritage prefer more fish and preserved foods vs (say) those in the Dordoge who only had access to beef or wine? Probably being overly simplistic.

Summer (pressure) cooked beetroot is superb, with young leaves eaten as spinach or raw as salad leaves. As autumn progresses and beetroot are much larger, try them roasted with the potatoes and parsnips. Very nice.
A 'pan fry' of choritso (?) sausages, beetroot, parsnips, celeriac, red peppers and chillies is excellent.
Cheers, Phil

Trainee neophyte. Beetroot was always meant to be pickled. I agree, without the vinegar it isn't very nice. Similar can be said for Stilton. It stinks to high heaven, but oh what a taste; especially with a glass of Taylor's Port. I guess it's down to taste in the end. Wouldn't do for all of us to like the same things. Yum-yum foŕ Christmas!

John

Yeah, I know - but I used to like annoying my ex (who loved sweetcorn) by saying it.

It's still revolting, though.

Love the sweet corn. But by the time it's in a can like that, it's usually allowed to grow a bit overripe so that the size is bigger. It looks better, but the corn is less sweet, and the casing is harder.

Baked apple or bananas ............ just odd texture.
Porridge, raw with cold milk fine...... boiled up and mushy horrible.
Horlicks, no.

I have a shocking sense of smell and taste, my wife reckons I've had covid for the past 30 years.

Bananas pretty much ruin everything they go in, but great by themselves.

Can't stomach eggs, boiled, fried, poached or scrambled, but I like many foods that contain eggs.

Nigel.

Plus one for the Cheese and Taylors. Being a Yorkshire lad, cheese and Christmas cake, and for a quick snack cheese and jam sandwich.
Have a quiet and peaceful time all.
xy

Bran flakes with hot milk and plenty of sugar.
During my travelling adventures I lived with some Gypsies and this was mine and their sons staple diet, we must have been on 3 bowls a day. But not the fancy Kellogg's ones, these were the cheapest own brand ones and for the life of me I can't find anything close now.
Needs plenty of milk though, too little and its like thick mush,.

Plus one for the Cheese and Taylors. Being a Yorkshire lad, cheese and Christmas cake, and for a quick snack cheese and jam sandwich.
Have a quiet and peaceful time all.
xy

It has just occurred to me that I have Christmas cake but no Wensleydale.

I like mints, chewing gum, toothpaste, mint the herb. Cannot stand mint chocolate or mint ice cream. They are 2 of the main things I won't eat. The 3rd is vine leaves but I don't think I have had those prepared well the once I tried them. I do draw the line at some of the Asian delicacies like century egg but I am generally up for Tring most things, particularly if somebody local can guide me into the how to eat it and confirm that it is a good example of the food.

About half a bar of dark chocolate with whole hazelnuts for breakfast. But found I can't eat it while wearing a half mask or cycling, especially cycling in lower temperature. It turns into a ball of fat.

Back