Straight razor users.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John Brown":1j6bsk6k said:
I don't shave, but I remember a man from Gillette(?) saying that the only purpose of any shaving soap/cream/gel was to keep moisture on the beard for long enough to soften it. I think he recommended simply shaving after a shower.

Hello,

And lubrication, essential for straight razor!

Mike.

woodbrains":4ccahqk0 said:
John Brown":4ccahqk0 said:
I don't shave, but I remember a man from Gillette(?) saying that the only purpose of any shaving soap/cream/gel was to keep moisture on the beard for long enough to soften it. I think he recommended simply shaving after a shower.

Hello,

Mike.

Hmmm.. Yes, thinking about it, if he had worked for Gillette he was probably talking about safety razors.
As I said, I don't shave. I have been shaved with a straight razor in Turkey a few times, just for fun.

But anyway, isn't this primarily a woodworking forum? Surely you all shave with your axes, don't you? I'm sure my father used to tell me that the carpenters he worked with would use an axe, just like the whalers shaved with their harpoons.

John Brown":14fn6x3y said:
I don't shave, but I remember a man from Gillette(?) saying that the only purpose of any shaving soap/cream/gel was to keep moisture on the beard for long enough to soften it.

And keeping track of which bits you've done already!

JakeS":21nuaa63 said:
John Brown":21nuaa63 said:
I don't shave, but I remember a man from Gillette(?) saying that the only purpose of any shaving soap/cream/gel was to keep moisture on the beard for long enough to soften it.

And keeping track of which bits you've done already!
Absolutely! I remember that from when I did shave.

Have a look at Executive Shaving

https://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/

I use a Muhle, double-edged safety razor. At the cheaper end, but it suits me, and since reverting to such razors, with a Wilkinson blade, I need only shave every other day. I didn't realise that I wasn't shaving properly! Not even with a Rolls Razor. :oops: :D

I came to the conclusion that as long as the blade is sharp, and you shave properly, (A ten minute shave in all directions) it doesn't matter too much about the razor; as long as it's not too heavy; in my case.

HTH :)

John Brown":hjhk79wh said:
woodbrains":hjhk79wh said:
John Brown":hjhk79wh said:

Hello,

Mike.

Hmmm.. Yes, thinking about it, if he had worked for Gillette he was probably talking about safety razors.
As I said, I don't shave. I have been shaved with a straight razor in Turkey a few times, just for fun.

But anyway, isn't this primarily a woodworking forum? Surely you all shave with your axes, don't you? I'm sure my father used to tell me that the carpenters he worked with would use an axe, just like the whalers shaved with their harpoons.

Yeah! And Crocodile Dundee used a Bowie Knife when the lady was watching! :lol:

Nobody has mentioned electric razors yet I've noticed that when we have guests to stay overnight most of the men use one so they must be very popular.

A friend of mine (RIP) used a Philips Electric. he always sported a moustache, but he maintained the Philips was quicker, (Obviously) and close enough for him. (Can't say I ever kissed his cheek, so I dunno! :mrgreen: ) I tried a Remington in the 50s. Not for me.

Being in the RN at the time, a close shave was mandatory. Come to think of it, most of the chaps who had permission to grow a 'full-set', used electric razors to keep them trim. 8)

I used an electric (Braun) when I was wired up in hospital last year for a time but was glad to get back to wet shaving when I was free to wander around.
A couple of years ago, fed up with the exorbitant prices of the latest Gillette multi blades, I dugout my 1960's Gillette Slimboy DE razor and never looked back.
Blades by Personna, and cheapos from Shark, Super-Max are really good.
Traditional Shaving Co and Connaught Supplies are a good source.
I use a Silver Tip brush and various soaps including D R Harris, Proraso and the ones Paulm mentioned.

I was quite surprised that A A Gill (STimes Critic) considered wet shaving a luxury he couldn't do without - I've always considered it a necessity and a pleasure.

Rod

I agree with Benchwayze, executive shaving is a great site as well as selling everything you need there are some brilliant how-to videos. feather blades are officially the sharpest blades made, and give a lovely shave with the lightest of touches.

I stuck with a shiv although I do have a real blade for those days when I have time to strop. use it with feathers when I have them, otherwise I still have a hundred or wilkinson blades that are more than up to the task (to many people get bogged down in following the trend when the old stuff is still amazing).
oils are worth while, a small amount goes a long way and it's cheaper than foam in most cases (which reminds me, must pick up a new pot today), I usually use nuage menthol because it can be got in most supermarkets.

you will knick yourself, especially when you aren't paying attention (such as when a 2 year old is running round your legs) so get a stypic pencil, this thing is a god send. :D

Rolls Razors are curious; they appears to have sold in great numbers (any flea market or car boot attender will see dozens), and yet I rarely see a worn one.

They were either very robust and long lasting, or thousands of people bought them, but didn't use them (much).

BugBear

bugbear":1n5n2nfo said:
Rolls Razors are curious; they appears to have sold in great numbers (any flea market or car boot attender will see dozens), and yet I rarely see a worn one.

They were either very robust and long lasting, or thousands of people bought them, but didn't use them (much).

BugBear

The main reason BB is the irritating, click-clack, when you strop and sharpen the blade, each time you use the things.
They did give a real close shave, but that noise, especially in a military environment, is a killer. Imagine five blokes in a bathroom, click-clacking away! I did use one for a time, but under threats of being banished to the upper deck to complete ablutions, I changed my mind!
:mrgreen:

Back