Straight razor users.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbrains

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm sure this must have been discussed here before, but I'm new to shaving with a straight razor, (first shave this morning) and wondered if anyone here has advice (apart from not to!) and equipment recommendations. I sort of got into it by default, since a friend mentioned that he thought I probably used a straight. When I said I'd not tried, but it facineted me, he bought me a present of a shavette kit. I had to give it a go then. I since got a couple of leathers to make my own paddle strop and a cheap, but shave ready razor. Not too much of a loss if I don't continue. The leathers will make good tool strops, after all. What are good razors and other stuff people use?

Mike.

Sporky McGuffin":3e8co6uf said:
Straight razor is a bit hardcore for me, but I'm a convert to a Merkur safety razor.

You're braver than I am!

have you tried the Japanese Feather blades? I did so on a recommendation and I have found them to be excellent- noticeably sharper than anything else I have used.

I haven't, but I'll put 'em on the list. I bought 500 DEs a couple of years ago and haven't finished them yet - nearing the end of the pile though. Ta.

Hello,

The Merkur razors look good. I'm sick of those multi blade cartridges TBH, and might get something similar if I don't continue with the straight.

I suppose you are using brushes, shaving soaps and the usual paraphernalia. Any recomendations?

Mike.

Try a shaving oil, rub it in and the blade will glide over your skin.
I prefer it to soap for use with a straight razor as it allows you to see the blade, letting you see the angle. Really good for under the chin(s) and neck area.

PS,
Get a styptic pencil and some bracing bars :lol:

I've used a Dovo for around 20 odd years (not the same one) and can't find fault with them, except they are expensive. Also like to use George Trumpter's Sandalwood shaving soaps

Over my years of shaving (60) I tried most but none IMO are any better (and many much worst) than whatever is the current Giillette with any decent shaving soap.

woodbrains":2wf1izaf said:
I suppose you are using brushes, shaving soaps and the usual paraphernalia. Any recomendations?

I did, but the water's so hard here in Surrey that it was nigh-on impossible to get a good lather even with a brush. Best results I had were with the Crabtree & Evelyn stuff, but now I'm back to using Simple shaving gel. If'n when I move somewhere with softer water (or fit a water softener, which might not be a bad plan) I'll go back to the brush. It seems more civilised.

I gave up shaving in 1973, a year before I came out of the R.A.F. and was the only Sgt in the Sgts Mess at Brize with a hairy fizzog. Being a bit of a rebel I really enjoyed that! 8)

But I have had one of these for more years than I can remember and used it when I did shave. It was good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w1IxGeVNow

Sporky McGuffin":ffsns0kv said:
woodbrains":ffsns0kv said:

I did, but the water's so hard here in Surrey that it was nigh-on impossible to get a good lather even with a brush. Best results I had were with the Crabtree & Evelyn stuff, but now I'm back to using Simple shaving gel. If'n when I move somewhere with softer water (or fit a water softener, which might not be a bad plan) I'll go back to the brush. It seems more civilised.

I live in Hampshire on the chalk downs and the water is as hard as anywhere in the country but still get decent lather with brush and most products, I suspect you just need to use more of the product each time ?

Having said that you might find creams quicker and easier to lather than the hard soaps.

Current personal favourites are GFT coconut cream, Proraso blue cream and Tabac stick which if you can get on with the smell gives an exceedingly good shave !

Cheers, Paul

Hello,

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

The Rolls razor looks like a nice collectable, but I'm not sure whether I'd give up shaving too, I had to use one! :| I like the non-disposable nature of the thing, though, everything had become a consumable these days.

Dovo straight razors are something I'd like to try eventually, if I master using one satisfactorily. I don't think they are expensive in the long run compared to Gillette Mach 12 turbo cartridges, et al. They must add up to 1000s in the lifetime of shaving.

Will try that Rasoline, looks nice. The missus will probably like it, the dog definitely will, almond oil, mmmm.

Mike.

Edit, the water here is dead soft, so have no trouble getting a lather. Im using Bluebeards revenge cream (for better or worse, it was a present). It takes the smallest amount to whip up into a great lather here. So far I like it, though I'm sure there is nicer stuff.

Mike.

I don't shave, but I remember a man from Gillette(?) saying that the only purpose of any shaving soap/cream/gel was to keep moisture on the beard for long enough to soften it. I think he recommended simply shaving after a shower.

paulm":20muryeb said:
I live in Hampshire on the chalk downs and the water is as hard as anywhere in the country but still get decent lather with brush and most products, I suspect you just need to use more of the product each time ?

Having said that you might find creams quicker and easier to lather than the hard soaps.

Current personal favourites are GFT coconut cream, Proraso blue cream and Tabac stick which if you can get on with the smell gives an exceedingly good shave !

Cheers, Paul

You could well be right. I did like using the brush and I have more time to shave properly now (new job is home office based). I'd heard good things about the Proraso stuff before so might give that a go. :)

Back