Shaving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
I shave 6 days a week.
I use a rotary three blade type as, I think, originally brought out by Phillips.
Except mine cost £16 in Lidl about 5 years ago.
Recently it hadn't been performing as good as I would like so I started looking around to see what is available.

It appears that most of the electric razors, although replacement blades are available, they suffer from cordless drill syndrome, It's almost as cheap to buy the complete unit.

I'm almost convinced to go back to the old style safety razor and flat blades, but I think the reason I stopped doing that many years ago was that it irritated my skin.

Maybe my hide is tougher nowadays.

I have ordered a razor and blades online but it's not here yet. It's not expensive so if I decide against it, it's no big loss.

Day before yesterday I took the Silvercrest razor apart. Turns out it must have been longer than I thought since I properly cleaned it. I blow it out each time I use it and then blast it with an airline when I remember. :)

It was pretty yucky when I took it right down, so I cleaned it spotless and gave the blades a good rub on a piece of flat marble before putting it back together.

Now it's shaving me like a brand new razor.

I wonder if it will last.

Does anyone else sharpen their electric razor blades?
What is the service schedule on your electric razor?

What do you all recommend electric or not?

Last edited:
No, I use a single blade safety razor without soap or foamy stuff. The soap irritated my skin and I wanted to stop throwing plastic rubbish in the bin.

I've never used an electric shaver and don't feel the need.

I've experimented with several electric razors over the years, trying both foil and rotary types in corded and cordless varieties - and some of them were very expensive. I never really got on with them as I found that, after a while, I experienced either skin irritation or dry patches, so I always went back to wet shaving.

I've now stopped trying to find an electric razor that I'm compatible with and just accept that, for me, wet shaving is the way to go.

I have a beard, but I did read once that the whole shaving soap/foam thing was only a means to keep the moisture in place long enough to soften the bristles, so simply shaving when you step out of the shower is as good.

I've now stopped trying to find an electric razor that I'm compatible with and just accept that, for me, shaving is a waste of time and effort.

Quick spritz over with the 'leccy beard trimmer every couple of weeks when I can be bothered works for me ;) (y)

I have a stainless handled one of these and have used it since 1989. it has been everywhere I have and used it almost daily for 17 years and then every few days thereafter (I left the army). It matters not what I use to lubricate my face as it is always great to use, I sharpen it every few days of use with a couple of strokes on an 8K waterstone freehand.

I have a triple head electric that I use occasionally for a quick shave on the way out of the house to take the scruffy edges off. I use disposable triple or quadruple edge razors I get at Costco, because they are cheap. I shave my head and beard with bar soap in the shower. I don't shave my chest or legs.

Pete

Tried dry electric shaving but as above it irritates my skin and occasionally can be painful, even with an expensive shaver. I tend to shave my head once every week or two (receding hairline since I was 17😥) and the beard/ face whenever I can be bothered, so far it's been 3 weeks but school starts again on Wednesday so I'll probably get the clippers out and have a tidy up/trim on Tuesday ready to go back to work.

I have a stainless handled one of these and have used it since 1989. it has been everywhere I have and used it almost daily for 17 years and then every few days thereafter (I left the army). It matters not what I use to lubricate my face as it is always great to use, I sharpen it every few days of use with a couple of strokes on an 8K waterstone freehand.
Was there much of a learning curve when you got that, :)

I doubt I would trust myself on the bits I can see never mind round the back.

Was there much of a learning curve when you got that, :)

I doubt I would trust myself on the bits I can see never mind round the back.
Yep, I was basically bricking it for the first few weeks of using it. I was very fortunate to have an old timer Det Cmdr (I think his 1st promotion was to Optio). He would get all the sprogs learn as most of the time we were places where you couldn't get a pack of Gillette or even electrickery. The secret is to learn not to skew or drag the blade sideways as you go through you stroke. i don't even remember having too many nicks either. Having a full soak hot shave though is a real pleasure in life, one of those popular mindful moments

I quickly discovered various electric razors weren't for me, poor results and chewed up skin !

Went over to wet shaving with disposable multi blade razors and cans of foam for many years with much better results.

Later still I discovered double edge safety razors and proper soaps and creams, a shaving revelation !

My vintage, birth year Gillette Fat Boy razor (rather fittingly ! 😂) works amazingly well with Gillette Silver Blue blades and cream or soap of the month (currently old school Tabac, wonderful smell!).

Well worth experimenting with different razors and blades though, everybody's skin, bristle and technique are different and there's no one best solution that works for everbody.

Just wish I had switched to double edge much sooner, no going back once you've tried it and got it working well for you :)

Back