Stinky Washing machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone got a cure ?

I have tried 2 types of detergent , liquid and powder

I have done a hot wash with no clothes in the machine

And it still stinks :?

When I you wash clothes in it and try and use them , they stink :twisted:

HELP , one for the lady's maybe

That is the best procedure by far.
Have you been using a bio detergent or soap powder?

Roy.

Soap powder that contains bleach and regular hot washes are supposed to be the answer. It took a while but we recovered our machine using this approach (plus me putting neat bleach in it at one point (against all the advice) and firing the hosepipe on jet in to the soap dispenser... A kind of dung or bust approach :D)

May be worth trying to remove any limescale too (Calgon?) as that may be harbouring some nasties.

And... perhaps it's worth sticking your nose in the waste pipe just in case the source of the problem is beyond the machine itself.

Digit":2slo0obl said:
That is the best procedure by far.
Have you been using a bio detergent or soap powder?

Roy.

Mostly a Bio liquid , but the last 4 washes were non bio powder to see If it would stop the smell

Some bios have a tendency to form a jelly like goo that sticks everywhere then rots and smells diabolical.
If that is the cause try a hot-ish wash and some bleach.
I always warned my customers of this problem with bios. The other possibility, depending on your set up, is smells from the drains if the waste does not discharge to drain via a trap.

Roy.

Put in half a cup of baking soda in (without clothes) and set it to wash. Works pretty good. We used it on an [apparently] eco-friendly machine that had no hot wash. After a short time, the machine stank and nothing we did cleared the smell. It was because the machine couldn't dissolve or wash away all of the soap, which then gathered in nooks and crannies, building up the gunk and going black etc.

Baking soda did the job!

Steve

which then gathered in nooks and crannies, building up the gunk and going black etc.

Yep! Summat the manufacturers forget to mention isn't it?

Roy.

OK

Its BLITZ the washing machine time

With

CALGON / Bleach / baking soda / and 90 degree hot was , its S--- or bust time

OR A NEW MACHINE :roll:

more for my shopping list along with the varnish

A new washing machine would not be immune from the same problem Blister.
It's normally down to bio powders combined with a cool wash in my experience. I first ran up against the problem some years ago and I dismantled the machine to discover the problem. After that I asked the owner about her detergent, the backplate of the drum and the backplate of the tub were thick with what looked like jelly.
Once cleaned, and a change of detergent, and the problem was cured.

Roy.

Digit":19fpp9fd said:
A new washing machine would not be immune from the same problem Blister.
It's normally down to bio powders combined with a cool wash in my experience. I first ran up against the problem some years ago and I dismantled the machine to discover the problem. After that I asked the owner about her detergent, the backplate of the drum and the backplate of the tub were thick with what looked like jelly.
Once cleaned, and a change of detergent, and the problem was cured.

Roy.

OK

Thanks

It looks like it has a filter in line as well , so will pull it out in the morning

Time for uncle ned soon , up the apples and pares :wink:

Not sure if soda crystals are essentially the same as baking soda, but that is what I have read is a good solution. The other thing I did was remove the rubber door liner which had a build up of black mouldy type stuff, and gave it a good clean. This was more to do with something was staining my clothes and suspected it was this, but it didn't smell that great, but nothing like yours it seems. It was easy to get off, but a pig to get back on.

It looks like it has a filter in line as well ,

If you mean on the base of the tub before the pump it's a trap! It's where all the money you leave in your trousers ends up, it's to protect the pump impellor from damage.
Service man's perks! :lol:

Roy.

Digit":3cife3o1 said:
It looks like it has a filter in line as well ,

If you mean on the base of the tub before the pump it's a trap! It's where all the money you leave in your trousers ends up, it's to protect the pump impellor from damage.
Service man's perks! :lol:

Roy.

Thats the one :wink:

My mate found his daughters long lost gold bracelet in his trap :shock:

We had the same problem recently, and I cured it with 2 hot washes. First one had washing soda and baking powder in the tray. Second one had bleach in the tray - you need a very small amount (half a cup at most). I put too much bleach in and had to stop the wash twice and set it to the drain cycle because it was about to foam out the top of the drawer! A couple of rinses through after the bleach as well - otherwise you'll bleach clothes on the next wash! Smells nice and fresh now.

Hi, Blister

Check the drain, my mothers washer smelt becaude waste water was backing up into the washer.

Pete

Back