Sticky/FAQ's request....what do you think ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
powertools":uhpkhvn5 said:
Most if not all problems found on cheaper saws can easily be fixed by the owner but people expect it to work at its best straight out of the box and if it doesn't it is declared as being rubbish.

But surely when you buy something it should work properly out of the box? Whether the item costs £60 or £660 it should not require the owner to spend hours 'fettling' the thing to get it to do the job you bought it to do? If one buys a used item then one does not mind spending a bit of time making it work as it should. Also I would say that I have in my workshop one of those cheaper economy type scroll-saws and no matter how many hours one spends fettling it the thing is never going to run and cut smoothly nor be a pleasure to use. :)

Grahamshed":ecxo2g7f said:
Sticky posts, in this or any other section, have their uses but it is not necessarily in the Forums interest to stop newbies asking the same old questions over and over again. Answering them in a polite and friendly way propagates downwards. Ie, I will ask a newbie question 'today' but in a few days time I will be able to answer that same question from another newbie. It allows me to become more involved in the forum without having to have a massive amount of knowledge. but as that knowledge increases ( from reading more newbie and intermediate questions ) I will be able to answer more intricate questions...... and so it goes around and around. Isn't that what a forum is about ?
=D>

If I ask a question on a forum, it's because I have already been unable to find the answer. If someone replies by telling me to search the forum and read the FAQ, I shrug. If two people tell me to use the search and read the FAQ, I look for a friendlier forum. That's how I ended up here.

CHJ":11yuhnwd said:
boysie39":11yuhnwd said:
Nev ,Nev ,Nev , surly by now you would have to accept that all of my posts are Sticky material . :wink: :roll: 8) :lol:

Would that be " like to a blanket" :twisted:

Chas, you old devil go on admit it you are just having a cheap shat at me :evil: :twisted: :mrgreen:

scrimper":172itozc said:
powertools":172itozc said:
Most if not all problems found on cheaper saws can easily be fixed by the owner but people expect it to work at its best straight out of the box and if it doesn't it is declared as being rubbish.

But surely when you buy something it should work properly out of the box? Whether the item costs £60 or £660 it should not require the owner to spend hours 'fettling' the thing to get it to do the job you bought it to do? If one buys a used item then one does not mind spending a bit of time making it work as it should. Also I would say that I have in my workshop one of those cheaper economy type scroll-saws and no matter how many hours one spends fettling it the thing is never going to run and cut smoothly nor be a pleasure to use. :)

That would be the problem with a sticky post. My wants, needs, financial resources and expectations are different to yours and both our views may not suit a newcomer looking for advice.

Back