Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing's happened! I've been down in Bristol and spent yesterday at Peter Sefton's Open Day. Nice to catch up with a few folk.
But I've made a quite significant mistake. Not sure that I'm prepared to admit what it is on an open forum, I might do after we've put it right! That's tomorrow's task.

S

Steve Maskery":1t7x5ozj said:
But I've made a quite significant mistake. Not sure that I'm prepared to admit what it is on an open forum, I might do after we've put it right! That's tomorrow's task.

S

I was going to tell you weeks ago you've put the door at the back........................ I jest.
Don't worry about it, there by the grace of god and all that.
Just get back to building man, I need a fix :lol:

Had a look at your planning application online and so far it all looks very much like the Approved Elevations. Only thing I can think of is your Velux windows (as drawn) might not fit your truss spacing.

Indeed. But I have made a decision about that.
I'm not going for the velux. Instead I am going for 2 pairs of double windows facing the house, but with shutters. When the shutters are closed there will be no visible windows and the wall will look pretty much continuous. At least, that is my hope.
S

Well, yes, it is indeed time to fess up.

When the trusses were delivered there were no bird's mouths cut. I expected them to be there but they weren't. Apparently is not normal, they are usually cut on site. I did not appreciate that. We've set them up like this:

P1020820.JPG

But we had cut a load of wedges and assumed that that would do. I was wrong. The trusses had actually been made assuming that a bird's mouth would be cut, but because we hadn't, it meant that all the raised-tie trusses were a bit higher than the gable ends. This would cause problems when we come to lay the roof laths.

So today we cut 24 bird's mouths with the trusses in situ. I did the marking out, Ray cut the notches. The crowbar is necessary because the weight of the trusses pinches the saw.

P1020823.JPG

So now they all look like this:

P1020821.JPG

So what would have added 5 minutes per truss had we done it when they were being installed has actually taken us all day to put right. But at least it is now as it should be. All the trusses are in the same plane. I'm not saying it is perfect, but it is a helluva lot better than it was.

If we had done it as we should, they would have also been dead straight along the very ends. They are not, so we are going to have to trim a few back to the shortest, but, to be honest, if that is all we have to do to get us out of the hole I've dug, I think I've got away quite lightly. I'm now pretty sure the roof will look good. It's cost me a day, but I'd rather it be right than forge ahead knowing that it was wrong.

I've replaced all but a few of the truss clips, but it was starting to rain. I'll finish them off tomorrow.

More on Wednesday, I hope.

S

Attachments

• P1020820.JPG
    P1020820.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,178
  • P1020823.JPG
    P1020823.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 1,178
  • P1020821.JPG
    P1020821.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,178
Steve, If the truss ends are not lined up, assuming they are/were all the same, does that not throw the ridge line out?
xy

Yes, a little, but it is not very much and the ridge tiles will cover a multitude of sins.
I think we are talking about 6mm max (+/- 3mm). Quite frankly there is greater variation than that in the trusses themselves. One gable rafter is 20mm longer than its mate at the other end...

S

Ok! Only a woodworker's thou then. It sounds as if all is under control Steve. Keep up the great build, all power to your elbow.
xy

Steve Maskery":3mrh8zqi said:
Yes, a little, but it is not very much and the ridge tiles will cover a multitude of sins.
I think we are talking about 6mm max (+/- 3mm). Quite frankly there is greater variation than that in the trusses themselves. One gable rafter is 20mm longer than its mate at the other end...

S

Ha!
Will make a builder out of you yet Steve. - How close is close enough? :wink: :lol:

It's interesting how tolerances change. Most of my mates here are roofers or wooden house construction types and a few cm is usually ok.

When they see me working to within 1/2 mm they think it's about the stupidest thing they've seen - and the sight of me out with feeler gauges can cause hysterics.

I have built a few larger scale items as part of my house build, and i definitely adjust to a larger margin of error, up to half a centimeter here and there now....

Hope I can go back to being accurate when I start on smaller projects again!

Steve Maskery":1azqo4lo said:
Because that would put me very close indeed to my height limit and I'm not sure yet how much I need for the ridge.

Then you just dump a few of tonnes of soil around the building to reduce the height above ground again [it's the 'tallness' not the height that's the issue IIRC]

When I last extended my WS I already had a tiled roof with a 4' overhang on one side, and I built a new wall up to the edge of the existing roof. There are no trusses, just a ridge girder, so to raise the edge I used a trolley jack and props, lifting the joists from direct contact with the new blocks. I ended up cutting some birdsmouths with a multitool as I simply couldn't get in with anything else!

monkeybiter":1rcno70z said:
Steve Maskery":1rcno70z said:
Because that would put me very close indeed to my height limit and I'm not sure yet how much I need for the ridge.

Then you just dump a few of tonnes of soil around the building to reduce the height above ground again [it's the 'tallness' not the height that's the issue IIRC]

Fantastic advice - the neighbours are going to love my new Motte & Bailey workshop! :wink:
Motte and Bailey workshop.jpg

Attachments

• Motte and Bailey workshop.jpg
    Motte and Bailey workshop.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 977
KevM":uormvl5o said:
monkeybiter":uormvl5o said:
Steve Maskery":uormvl5o said:

Fantastic advice - the neighbours are going to love my new Motte & Bailey workshop! :wink:

like.jpg

Attachments

• like.jpg
    like.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 976
KevM":3d7803fp said:

I was only thinking of a few inches, but I like yours much more! You could solve the problem of a flooded cellar by having that above ground too!

Back