Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Havent looked at this thread whilst logged in for a long while, missed the pictures. Just had a look back through, its ******* massive!

Very good progress and work so far, perhaps by the end of it Steve will have learnt that sometimes close enough is good enough :wink: :D

Steve don't use spacer blocks to keep gauge on your roof or any discrepancy in the laths will be multiplied as you go up the roof you should always measure and strike the roof with a chalk line ,unless of course the laths your are using are sawn true but most commercial bought laths aren't , even the red graded laths aren't good enough to use blocks for spacing .

hi steve
as many people have already said

thank you for a great thread - i , like many others, have really enjoyed following your build and find myself looking forward to seeing the progress each day.
nice to see you appear to be enjoying the build even though im sure its hard work.
all the best
paul-c

Cowboy _Builder":2x92rsiy said:
Steve don't use spacer blocks to keep gauge on your roof or any discrepancy in the laths will be multiplied as you go up the roof you should always measure and strike the roof with a chalk line ,unless of course the laths your are using are sawn true but most commercial bought laths aren't , even the red graded laths aren't good enough to use blocks for spacing .

Interesting point. I don't do roof's but if I did I'd have used spacers without giving it a thought!

Anything he can! The roof laths are 2 x 1 (well, anything between 47 and 50mm, which is why CB's point above is so relevant), so I don't suppose they would stop a direct free fall, but Ray isn't as heavy as I am and it would at least break his fall.
Damage limitation, I guess. Let's hope we don't have to find out.
S

Grayorm":34umlige said:
Cowboy _Builder":34umlige said:

Interesting point. I don't do roof's but if I did I'd have used spacers without giving it a thought!

It's a very valid point which cowboy builder made. In practice it's quite common to find that slaters laths differ in width and easy to accumulate errors. Added to this, they are never straight. My methods for years have been to make up a couple of guage rods from laths, one for each side of the roof if span not too long. I then snap a chalk line mark for the first half dozen or so with the lines marked at top of lath distance and fix using a nailgun - dead easy - dead accurate as long as you ensure no chalk line sag. I usually check a couple of places along the roof as I go just in case.

There is a way of using spacers that does work. Say the centres are 250mm you would cut a lath about 400 and fix a small cross piece near one end. Measure from the bottom of that 250mm to bottom edge of another cross piece at the other end. Sit the cross piece on the first fixed lath, pull the next one up to it and fix.

Bob

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,198
riclepp":vftwhkgb said:
Great wip Steve. Just curious, ray has a harness on but what is he clipping on to? Looking nicer each post.

Sky hooks probably :D

Great thread Steve.

As so many have already said ... 'if I was a bit nearer' .... as I was/am a painter I would have done Ray's house while he was helping you (or are you helping him)

Lots done today chaps.
AGM at the Community Workshop this morning meant that we didn't start until gone 2pm, but we went on until 8pm. Plus my mate Bob (of Workshop Essentials Theme Tune fame) came along, which was a great help.

So whilst Ray got on with Lathing

P1020840.JPG

Bob and I did some sheathing along the back and front

P1020841.JPG

We are going to leave the top row at the back open until the tiling is finished, so we can poke stuff through if we have to, rather than carrying it all the way round.

P1020843.JPG

We are not quite rain-tight yet, but getting there.

P1020846.JPG

So whilst I have aches on my aches, it suddenly appears to have acquired character.

P1020844.JPG

P1020845.JPG

P1020847.JPG

Nice view all of a sudden! :)

Attachments

• P1020840.JPG
    P1020840.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 926
  • P1020841.JPG
    P1020841.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 926
  • P1020843.JPG
    P1020843.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 926
  • P1020844.JPG
    P1020844.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 926
  • P1020846.JPG
    P1020846.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 926
  • P1020845.JPG
    P1020845.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 927
  • P1020847.JPG
    P1020847.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 926
Steve Maskery":2bft6yds said:
Lots done today chaps.
So whilst I have aches on my aches, it suddenly appears to have acquired character.
Nice view all of a sudden! :)

Ah! The "Essential Workshop" begins to live.
Nice going Steve.

xy

Back