Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Maskery":1nl327ai said:
I bought a large sheet of green cloth several years ago and I don't think I've ever used it. Maybe once. But having all this Unistrut stuff up on the ceiling, it makes sense to install it.

and make a picture like this

The same thing can be done with video, it's how they do the weather forecast stuff on TV. I don't know how much I'll use it, but it's there when I need it.

Green screen looks like fun, I can see it now.

Steve Maskery presents A Workshop Essentials production......... THE THICKNESSER starring Edward Woodwood... cue cheesy music.

mindthatwhatouch":20tudwag said:
Green screen looks like fun, I can see it now.

Steve Maskery presents A Workshop Essentials production......... THE THICKNESSER starring Edward Woodwood... cue cheesy music.

made me think of that part in Waynes World where Wayne and Garth where told about green screens for the first time. "Steve and Ray make a bansdaw fence in ... Hawaii"

Steve,
Blank off two sockets closest to the sink, can you easily get a cable down below worktop height (in the stud wall) to feed a spur for the heater?

Wednesday saw Ray and me doing more to the patio. It's not finished yet, but it is much, much better and should be exactly as it should be once it is all laid and whackered.

P1040417.JPG

Today, however, I got the sink sorted. I fitted a fused spur, as I should have done in the first place, and then DougB came round and drilled a hole for me. Ray and I had already drilled a 25mm hole, but my waste pipe is only 25mm (like a caravan) and there was no clearance. So Doug sorted me out. Thank you very much, Doug.

Then my mate Martin came and sorted out the wet stuff.

P1040420.JPG

The only snag was that when we turned on the water, it leaked at the house end (wait until I tell Ray :) ), but that was easily fixed. Apparently I need more insulation at that end, too. So now it looks like this. Unfortunately I've scuffed the wall when drilling for the spur. Does anyone have a brushfull of magnolia matt emulsion I can touch it up with?

P1040421.JPG

P1040421 2.JPG

It's great having hot water to clean up. I've never had that luxury. The water flow is quite gentle, a spray - I'm glad I don't have that in my kitchen - but for handwashing it's fine. And it means that when my contact lens falls out, which it does with monotonous regularity, I don't have to traipse all the way back up to the house.

Now I need to buy a wall unit, make some doors and find 7 matching handles. 7. Why are they all sold in packs of 6? Grrrr.

The drainage isn't sorted properly yet, I need to get a caravan butt thingy. And Martin discovered he didn't have any white silicone, but he lives just along the road and is coming back tomorrow.

BTW, that orange thing is a water softener. Martin fitted a similar one to my combi boiler, too. They should stop the systems furring up, we are quite hard here.

Attachments

• P1040417.JPG
    P1040417.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 1,093
  • P1040420.JPG
    P1040420.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 1,093
  • P1040421.JPG
    P1040421.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 1,094
  • P1040421 2.JPG
    P1040421 2.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 1,087
Steve Maskery":2vlde9or said:
BTW, that orange thing is a water softener. Martin fitted a similar one to my combi boiler, too. They should stop the systems furring up, we are quite hard here.

'Ard???

Laying paving in this weather is beyond 'ard. Bloomin' freezin' down 'ere.

You'll be felling your timber with karate chops next.

Seriously, forget washing hands: it's brilliant to be able to make a brew without going back to the house.

E.

Steve, re handles for the kitchen cupboards, I suggest you give Banbury Plastic Fittings a try. As well as lots of plastic stuff they do all sorts of metal gear (ali, SS, etc) for furniture, and sell a lot of stuff in singles or qty's as you choose. They also have sales (end of a specific line, etc) with reduced prices from time to time. I found them by recommendation from this Forum and found them very easy to deal with - sensible prices and good responsive service, and they even sent me a free sample of one particular bit to try for a specific job. They also know exactly how to ship stuff to non-EU countries, so you "oop norf" should be OK (sorry). Usual disclaimers.

Link: www.bpfonline.co.uk

HTH

Also, re your last post about that orange water softener, do you/does your mate know how it works? Fill it with salt regularly? Who makes them/what are they called/available outside UK please? I ask because our water here is V hard (to the extent that I keep a spare set of filter thingys for each tap in the house and have to change them for de-chalking about once a month) and the only thing I've found here is a blooming great tank/filter thing that you have to keep in the cellar. Any steers would be much appreciated, TIA.

And thanks for the on-going saga too - still a V good incentive to lazy so & so's like me!

Krgds
AES

Congratulations Steve.

+1 for the cleat door handles, a nautical themed workshop! :wink: :D

Pete

You will remember that the patio was a tad on the disappointing side...

But we have lifted it, area by area and yesterday we did the last patch up by the house.

P1040417.JPG

Today we fitted most of the odd-shaped ones around the edges. We had to re-cut a lot, becasue of course, the blocks didn't go back in exactly the same place as from where they came up.

So then it was a case of whackering, sanding and whackering some more.

P1040455.JPG

P1040459.JPG

P1040462.JPG

P1040463.JPG

One problem was the Dry Pavior Sand. Some of it was not very dry, the bags having been stored covered, but outside, and clearly at least one bag was not as sealed as it should have been. But even the sand that was dry didn't stay dry for very long. As we were sweeping it around it was picking up moisture from the blocks, which were very wet, after all the rain we have had recently.

There are a few metres of edge blocking that needs to be re-laid, mainly around the conservatory, back door and round as far as the gate.

P1040465.JPG

But the rest, whilst not perfect, is very good. Better, much better, than it was before.

P1040464.JPG

Attachments

• P1040417.JPG
    P1040417.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 1,115
  • P1040455.JPG
    P1040455.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 1,116
  • P1040459.JPG
    P1040459.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 1,116
  • P1040462.JPG