Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for your encouragement and kind words. People only get these sort of nice things said about them after they are dead. :)
I t has been a slog, but it's also been about rebuilding my life, not just about building a workshop.

As you say, Peter, it's now about what I do with it.

S

Steve Maskery":3h2lt3fv said:
Thank you all for your encouragement and kind words. People only get these sort of nice things said about them after they are dead. :)
I t has been a slog, but it's also been about rebuilding my life, not just about building a workshop.

As you say, Peter, it's now about what I do with it.

S

Well Steve it's great to see you alive and kicking! Looking forward to seeing your next workshop adventures and hope these earn you the living your passion for woodworking and helping others deserves.

Cheers Peter

What I like about it is you've invited us all along warts and all, every mistake you've made you've highlighted (and corrected) so that we can learn and take into consideration should we embark on a similar jounrney. I'm kind of sad to be honest, it's akin to watching say game of thrones or 24 and reaching the final episode and realising that there is to be no more. You are inspirational Steve and you've made me at least four and a half times more attentive to detail on my own shop build!!

All joking aside, top job and a very informative and enjoyable thread. Looking forward to your new videos.

Kind regards
Damian

Well done Steve. Excellent work in both the build and how have documented it. Hope you have an open day.

Well as I said, signed off doesn't mean finished, but I've done a bit more this weekend.

I'd originally planned to use 4x1s as the corner trim, and indeed I have on the front. But I'm a bit short of 4x1and have lots of shiplap left. So I simply cut off the T&G edges. Without Ray to support the ends I had a roller stand behind me and the steps in front to act as a improv support. It worked quite well.

P1040372.JPG

I then thought I would make life easier by painting them all properly before they went up, then there would just be a bit of touching up to do.

P1040373.JPG

Unfortunately that was not the clever idea I thought it was, as when I went down this morning the paint was still wet. Very wet. I guess it had not cured, then got wet and just sat there. Nevertheless I've nailed it up, but I had to wear gloves to stop me getting it all over myself. Fortuantely, when the day brightened up the paint dried properly.

Once up it looked good.

P1040376.JPG

P1040377.JPG

So the only trim left to do is a bit at the edge of the rear soffit to cover a bit of a gap. Tomorrow, maybe, if I can handle it on my own.

Also, whilst up the ladder, I saw my neighbour-at-the-back over the fence and said hello. She had been a bit shirty about this during the build, prompted mainly by the fact that she had to have a fence when I knocked down the old shack. There should have always been a fence, but there wasn't and that boundary is theirs, not mine, so I was not very popular. But she was friendly and said it looked good, so I think harmony is restored.

The only slight mishap was that the shiplap was quite wet when I ripped it. Well, very wet, actually, and water has got onto my MDF throat plate, swelled the front edge, which then gets caught up in the moving workpiece and delaminates into soggy cardboard. So today I've made a couple of new throat plates out of 1/2 ply. Much better material.

Attachments

• P1040372.JPG
    P1040372.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 971
  • P1040373.JPG
    P1040373.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 970
  • P1040376.JPG
    P1040376.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 971
  • P1040377.JPG
    P1040377.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 970
Congratulations Steve, I know how you feel having been through the same process of workshop building, albeit a lot smaller. Now is the time to enjoy making something, maybe that special piece of furniture you promised yourself :wink:.

Well done Steve. A most impressive build. Out of curiosity; what internal floor space have you been left with now that you have lined the walls and added skirting, etc?

memzey":2xjn1eg4 said:
Well done Steve. A most impressive build. Out of curiosity; what internal floor space have you been left with now that you have lined the walls and added skirting, etc?
I've not measured it exactly but it is about 7.6m square, I think.

Steve Maskery":2m708m8y said:
Also, whilst up the ladder, I saw my neighbour-at-the-back over the fence and said hello. She had been a bit shirty about this during the build, prompted mainly by the fact that she had to have a fence when I knocked down the old shack. There should have always been a fence, but there wasn't and that boundary is theirs, not mine, so I was not very popular. But she was friendly and said it looked good, so I think harmony is restored.

You could always offer to make her a little something to restore even more harmony?

You say it was their boundary, but it sounds as though it did make them incur some costs they were (maybe) not expecting ???

Might even lead to some enquiries? A gesture like that might go a long way .....

Just a thought :)

So it's a proper batchelor pad then - the workshop's bigger than the house. The playroom is bigger than the living room :shock: \:D/

I'm soooo jealous :wink:

Halo Jones":2m0g0fhb said:
So it's a proper batchelor pad then - the workshop's bigger than the house. The playroom is bigger than the living room :shock: \:D/

I'm soooo jealous :wink:

Hee-hee-hee!
You might want the workshop but I assure you you wouldn't want the journey to get here.

I've had a bit of a fillip today. I volunteer at a Community Workshop and I give a lift there to a 70-something lady who is going blind and can no longer drive. I told her about my cogitations regarding crowd funding and Patreon and so on and she said she'd like to give me my first £25 towards the project.

So only £3475 to go!

Really pleased, actually, it's coming together in my head. I need to get more down on paper.

Quote: ..." I told her about my cogitations regarding crowd funding and Patreon and so on..."

So what's all this about Steve - Have I missed something???

John

You might remember that we laid a new patio but didn't do as good a job as we thought we were. It is a bit Himalyan. There are some areas that are already lower than the surrounding edge (which is set on concrete) and that is before it has been whackered.

So Ray turned up with a whacker plate today. He did a bit

P1040379.JPG

and I did a bit

P1040384.JPG

There was not a lot of obvious movement, but then, of course, it's had a few months of being walked on and general settling.

So we stacked a couple of square metres of blocks by the side of the log cabin and set out our levels again.

P1040385.JPG

I was Sand-Carrier-In-Chief and Ray screeded the area. Once we'd started it was relatively easy, leap-frogging the blocks as we went.

P1040387.JPG

P1040390.JPG

P1040391.JPG

P1040392.JPG

At one point we realised we were getting well out of line and we had to do a couple of metres again, but as the light started to fade we had done it up to the conservatory and it looks better than it did before. Much better; better level and better line, too.

P1040393.JPG

I'm not sure whether Ray is coming tomorrow, the forecast is not brilliant, although it does not appear quite as bad as it seemed yesterday.

Attachments

• P1040379.JPG
    P1040379.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 1,078
  • P1040384.JPG
    P1040384.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 1,078
  • P1040385.JPG
    P1040385.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 1,078
  • P1040387.JPG
    P1040387.JPG