Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would imagine that after your health problem that you will be avoiding the heavy work if you can, how ever i think i am right in thinking that the breather membrane is only good for 3 months in mild weather so the roof could be a problem .Please check this before you alter your plans or buy in labour to complete the tiling. If this is bad news i am sorry but its best to have the info to help make decisions .

Steve Maskery":31egcw4z said:
Sorry, I didn't respond, I got overtaken by Events. Don't panic, it's all under control!

Steve

No problem with non-reply, you have been very busy and then with the impromptu hospital visits...

...having read the whole thread over just a couple of days it just struck me and couldn't bear the thought of there being a problem after you had finished!

Wizard9999.

Wizard9999":mithyg6q said:
Steve Maskery":mithyg6q said:
Sorry, I didn't respond, I got overtaken by Events. Don't panic, it's all under control!
...having read the whole thread over just a couple of days it just struck me and couldn't bear the thought of there being a problem after you had finished!

Dunno if it was in this thread or elsewhere, but I do recall Steve talking about getting planning permission for this. I can't quite be bothered to search the thread for it, but I'm 100% certain he had got permission for it.

morfa":18l6ltbg said:
Wizard9999":18l6ltbg said:
Steve Maskery":18l6ltbg said:

Dunno if it was in this thread or elsewhere, but I do recall Steve talking about getting planning permission for this. I can't quite be bothered to search the thread for it, but I'm 100% certain he had got permission for it.

Morfa

No need to search, but if you actually read my post (or subsequent post from Bob) you will see the question was about building regs, not planning consent.

Wizard9999.

Wizard9999":25lqwu3q said:
morfa":25lqwu3q said:
Steve Maskery":25lqwu3q said:

No need to search, but if you actually read my post (or subsequent post from Bob) you will see the question was about building regs, not planning consent.

I'd assumed they're the same thing. Or that if you got planning permission, they'd tell you 'you'll need to do X' to have it checked at the end. I've just looked into it and I can see that they're different things. You learn new things every day.

"I'd assumed they're the same thing. Or that if you got planning permission, they'd tell you 'you'll need to do X' to have it checked at the end. I've just looked into it and I can see that they're different things. You learn new things every day."

The whole subject is a real pain, as phil in post between ours says, can end up needing neither, one or both as the 'thresholds' for needing them are different. Sometimes I think this sort of thing is done on purpose to trip people up!

Wizard9999.

I think the original reason for the angst is that if you did always require building regs approval but failed to get it then you're potentially in big trouble because they examine the integrity of the build in stages. So for example, footings poured in a house build may well be the first inspection point to ensure the foundations meet regs and can be approved (trench deep enough, rebar inserted etc etc). So if your assumption is that just as the removal truck arrives and champagne is being popped you can ask the inspector to whip round and tick all the boxes...whoops...er no....you'll be risking doing a lot of retrospective undoing of things so it can be signed off.

Wizard was genuinely concerned that (whilst he had seen planning granted documented in Steve's epic) he hadn't seen regs....hence the query.

Both the Planning people and the BCO have been very helpful and constructive. "Proper Job" was his last remark.

It is, however, frustrating, from a consumer point of view, that one dept in the Council can ask you what you want to do and how you want to do it, charge you for asking, tell you "Yes, That's Fine", and then someone else in the office next door can come along and charge you and say "No, It Isn't". I did point this out to the BCO last time he came and he was very sympathetic to the complaint.

Sorry for not posting much recently, I've not done much on the build (a bit on Saturday when my mate Dave came to help, but same-old same-old) because I'm so washed out I can hardly do anything. I changed the bed yesterday and after taking the sheets off I had to lie down for a while before putting the clean stuff on. I live at No9 and the Post Box is outside No1. It's all I can do to walk it. I'm 5 days into a 30-day course of tablets, but I'm seriously thinking of stopping, as I can't do anything. And I'm not sleeping properly again, so it's a double-whammy.

Oh woe is me :(

Time to get the catalogues out then Steve. Or maybe sketchup and do some of the planning and brain work rather than the physical. You could use sketchup to plan the layout with the dimensions gleaned from the catalogues

Steve take a well earned rest from the build, I know and understand you want 'the shop' up and running, but your not 21, take it easy for a while, recharge your batteries, you can do just as much indoors as you can outdoors, for example take a look at these podcasts,

http://www.woodworkingonline.com/catego ... st/page/4/

I've gone straight to page 4 because podcast 10 is Tips for Setting Up A Great Home Shop, now I know the phrase 'sucking eggs' springs to mind, but there may be a few pointers you could use, plus there's a lot of other podcasts which I have found very informative, at least watching these can be done while your resting, I and all the others following your build will wait until your fit enough to carry on.

HTH

Baldhead

I agree with everything said above Steve, take it easy for a while otherwise you might find you do yourself a proper mischief and finish up not being able to finish it at all.

I will see you sometime next week, I'll give you a call when I know what day I can get over,

regards

Brian

Well I never thought I'd be grateful for being ill. I do feel much better, although I'm still sleeping loads, but I've not don't anything on the build all week. And it's a good job too.

Kevin, the BCO, has been great and indeed he says that he goes to see houses that are not as well-built as this is. He is generally happy. Until he saw the cladding.

He was under the impression I was going to face it with brickwork. I don't know why, because that was never in the spec, but he doesn't like the wood directly on the laths when the wall is so close to the boundary. He is concerned at what might happen if a neighbour has a bonfire that gets out of control.

So I think I have to remove the cladding, apply some sort of fire barrier and put the cladding back. It's a pain, but if I'd not been ill I'd have finished the cladding by now. I don't know what sort of material he has in mind, he's going to send me some suggestions on Tuesday. I can still get on with the roof and the insulation, of course. I'm glad about that, because I'm getting some help on Sunday and hopefully later in the week too. And Ray is back this weekend.

So I'm glad this has happened now rather than when all the cladding was done, but it is trouble I could do without. Not least because of the cost. I suspect that this is not going to be trivial expenditure.

Buddy, can you spare a dime?

That was a lucky break Steve, that's how you must view it. I would go along with a nail punch and punch all the nail heads through to try and salvage the cladding.

Is there nothing that can be painted onto it to make it suitable? You can get paint for boats that goes behind stoves etc.

There are deffinately clear intumescent coatings for exterior use. ALBI fireguard, is one range. Not sure how they compare to the boards cost wise though, and they are strict systems, I.e. You have to apply the right layers to specified thicknesses.

I thought that the recently revised planning rules were for a minimum 1m gap from any boundary were mainly to provide a fire break.....I think that's right. If so then why is this guy demanding something over and above the rules.

I have not heard that BC directives included any need to fireproof a wooden external structure. I wonder what it is. If you can find a reference then please let us all know. Again what (legal) rule is this guy refering to.

I have heard of NO occasions when an external bonfire has caused a wooden shed to catch on-fire.

Latest posts

Back