Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must admit that when building my workshop as soon as the roof timbers were up and only tarps giving cover, I got my table saw running on extension leads as it was so useful in preparing the subsequent timbers and sheathing.

MM

Steve Maskery":3sx3875n said:
As I've been sitting here thinking about the day, I have realised that I have been a plonker. Not for the first time in my life admittedly, but I have today.
Steve, thanks for continuing to post your progress 'warts and all' - it's been really interesting to watch your progress, complete with your honest self-appraisals!

I take it you're producing a detailed and fully annotated workshop construction guide with all of the 'if-I-knew-then-what-I-know-now' pearls of wisdom that you've acquired on this voyage of discovery?

Thank you Kev. I've been given a great deal of goodwill on this project and it is much appreciated.

It would be nice to get a commercial product out of this but I think it is unlikely. I will write some sort of article for Nick, but it won't be a blow-by-blow account like this is.

I'm afraid I haven't got a lot to show for the last couple of days, despite the weather being kind.
I've been sleeping. A lot. Yesterday and today it was nearly 10 when I awoke. And whilst I was awake in the middle of the night last night, generally I've been sleeping reasonably well of late.
Anyway, it means that today I didn't get going until lunchtime, and by the time I'd been to the timber yard and Screwfix, it was 3pm before I did anything on the build.

It's same old, same old, I'm afraid, more cladding. This is going to take some time. Some of the lengths just drop on nicely, some have to be persuaded with a big hammer. The first one today I put a nail in before I'd got it right and it was a right PITA to put right. In the end I wrecked the length to get it off and try again. It will do for one of the shorter lengths on the front.

So as the light was fading it looked like this:

P1020884.JPG

This is the door I have bought. Not fantastic quality, but it will do until I can make my own:

P1020886.JPG

I wanted to see how much clearance I had for fitting, so I offered up the cill:

P1020887.JPG

Disaster, the opening is too small! How did that happen?

Upon closer investigation, the cill is longer than it needs to be and can be trimmed to fit OK. Phew! It had me going for a mo.

So it's 10pm, I've only just had my dinner, I'm still filthy from the day's work and I suspect tomorrow may be another very late start...

Attachments

• P1020884.JPG
    P1020884.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,004
  • P1020886.JPG
    P1020886.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 1,003
  • P1020887.JPG
    P1020887.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 1,003
Keep going Steve - this thread is an inspiration. You will have good days as well as bad days, and if it takes a little longer then it takes a little longer. The end result will be worth it!

Steve

hi steve
you sound a little disappointed as though you are feeling like you haven't achieved much over the last few days ( if i am right from your description) but please don't forget just how far you have got, every little trip to screwfix or timber yard is another job that gets you closer .
i know from when i was doing our house, 10 years ago now thankfully, that i had to keep reminding myself that every time i felt like i hadn't achieved much , even if i had only managed to do a ten minute job that day ,that i didn't have that job to do again so it was still progress.
so keep your chin up and have a read through your thread from the very start and see just how far you have come in a relatively short period of time - its not that long ago you first posted this
all the best
paul-c

Steve Maskery":rr8ylkgl said:
I've finally thrown of the cloak of lethargy and put on the mantle of let's get on with it.

The derelict shack at the bottom of the garden has half the roof it had this morning. I should be able to get the rest off tomorrow, but I am too knackered to do any more today.

I'm going to keep the roof panels for the time being, as I have some stuff to keep sheltered outside, but in the fullness of time I should have some steel roof panels in pretty decent condition up for grabs if anyone is interested.

In the meantime does anyone want a dirty great big RSJ? It's free for the taking. Of course, there is no such thing as a free RSJ, you would have to come and help take it down (I've worked out how that can be done safely - jack up one end, remove a course of block, lower it down. Repeat at the other end and walk it down). The really hard part is getting it to the road. There is no proper vehicular access to the back and the RSJ is big. Really big. I mean, you might think it's a long way down to the shops, but that is nothing compared with the distance from one end of this RSJ to the other.

It measures 7.6m long x 400mm high x 140mm wide. I beam. It's actually two sections plated and welded in the middle. Somebody somewhere must be able to use it. If not I'll have to cut it up (ha-ha) and weigh it in. Must be worth a bob or two in scrap, but it's hassle I do not want.

I'll put an ad in the For Sale forum and start a Build thread when I get some pictures.
S

Edit: Some pics:

Your conscience pushes you saying 'you must do something constructive or it's a day wasted'. But in reality we're not machines. If you're tired and not really in the mood, but doing it because you think you should, you'll make mistakes and that will just get you down even more.
Best thing is to recognise the point at which you've had enough and go and have a rest, for an hour, an afternoon or even a couple of days away from it. It works, trust me.

It's coming along great Steve. Although I don't always comment, yours is the thread I update myself on when I first log on, and will miss the WIP when it finishes. Keep up the good work ;-)

That's very good advice, a job done when we are tired very often has to be done again. The build is going great guns and you are to be admired for all the hard work and effort you are putting in to it.

John

Here here.

Steve, you've been open enough to have told us about days when getting up and dressed counted as an achievement - and here you are, taking on a substantial build, stretching your skills and physical abilities and producing what I am sure will be a workshop we will all admire and envy - so take a stroll down the garden and congratulate yourself on how far you have come in the last few months!!

=D> =D> =D>

Grayorm":340p7z61 said:
It's coming along great Steve. Although I don't always comment, yours is the thread I update myself on when I first log on, and will miss the WIP when it finishes. Keep up the good work ;-)

+1

John

Grayorm":1p2lznw9 said:

+1
well said

Thank you for all the supportive comments, I really appreciate them.

Up at 6.20 today, so a bit more like normal, and after the crossword and breakfast I was functioning before 9am. I went out to buy some more membrane, but that was a mistake. The weather was good and I should have used it to work, as I didn't need it imminently and this afternoon it rained. It rained a lot. In fact I don't think I've seen such heavy rain since I was in India in 1987. It was simply torrential.

There is a bit of leakage in the roof in line with the trusses, but generally it is rain-tight. The only problem was the noise. I had the radio on full and I couldn't hear it. It was like being inside a drum. I hope it's not like that once the tiles and ceiling are installed!

20140808_170129.jpg

20140808_170205.jpg

On the plus side, I've fitted two lengths of membrane with laths to the RH side of the building and painted another 20 or so lengths of shiplap.

Attachments

• 20140808_170129.jpg
    20140808_170129.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,259
  • 20140808_170205.jpg
    20140808_170205.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,259
Steve Maskery":16jpcuvr said:
Hey, I've been made a sticky! Whoo-hoo!
Thank you mods (I assume).
:)

S

quite right
most forum members seem to be following your thread daily (as am i ).
just one thought though - when you finish the building , we have the install to look forward to.
but once the build , the install and the first few test jobs and then proper jobs. :roll:
what are you going to do to entertain us all then ?
we will all have withdrawl symptoms #-o

Lots done today chaps, due in no small part to Pebbles coming down again and lending a hand.

We started by painting another 12 lengths of cladding, then put up the third tier of membrane on the RH side. It was trickier than I had anticipated sliding it in underneath the taller lengths of lath, but we managed it.

Then it was cladding, cladding and more cladding. We laid 12 courses of 2 lengths each. Unfortunately the first, bottom one was sprung, but I didn't notice. A spirit level in the middle said "Level", but of course it would. It would if you put it in the middle of a hammock. So the length above it didn't sit too well. But by easing the dip out over 3 or 4 lengths, the rest were not too bad. The is an inward bulge in the wall about 5 studs in, so that is going to be a pain on the inside.

So that wall now looks like this:

P1020889.JPG

When we had run out of cladding we put up 2 lengths of membrane along the back wall. The floor is concrete there so it was much easier underfoot than the RH side is. We did both lengths in about half an hour or so and they are reasonably nice and tight. It would have taken me all morning on my own and not been such a neat job.

P1020888.JPG

Finally we painted the last 10 lengths of cladding. I'll have to order some more on Monday.

So now we are both cream crackered but feel virtuous :)

Attachments

• P1020889.JPG
    P1020889.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,124
  • P1020888.JPG
    P1020888.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 1,124

Latest posts

Back