Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dunno whether it's relevant, but our house, which is made from a Swedish kit, has outward opening for all external doors. Possibly a scandinavian thing? Avoids any problems of dead space inside, but also inclined to surprise visitors if they are standing too close to the door outside :D

NickWelford":vulac4nc said:
26001 views! Is that a record?

Not quite, there is a sticky with considerably more.

But I'm not finished yet, am I? :)

I wish I could charge a £ a view, it would pay for all this and give me a holiday to boot. Heigh ho.

Actually the buzz is enough.
:)

S

dickm":2vv79nez said:
Dunno whether it's relevant, but our house, which is made from a Swedish kit, has outward opening for all external doors. Possibly a scandinavian thing? Avoids any problems of dead space inside, but also inclined to surprise visitors if they are standing too close to the door outside :D

Yes, I think it is a fire regulation thing in Scandinavia, IIUIC.

S

I would go open inwards for what it's worth. To break into it, it would take a lot more effort and make more noise- look at the effort that the police have to put into breaking one down (well on TV). All house front doors open in too for which there must be a reason.

marcros":3qrc60sd said:
............ All house front doors open in too for which there must be a reason.
I did a web search for "why do house front doors open inwards" .... pages and pages of answers :)

Apart from the hinge issue, it's much more difficult to force a door that opens outwards. Either way, a good bracing bar or two across the inside would help.

Outward opening, hinge bolts and keyed-alike locks - it's what I have ;) Also, an outward-opening door allows the possibility of a roller-shutter inside if you ever feel you're becoming a target, without making your back garden look like an industrial estate.

Open in is so you dont smash the doors into your guests faces when you greet them. :D

I like open in, can have the door open when its raining etc still without getting completely soaked all over....obviously depending on the rain direction. Just have to be careful if its your only door nothing falls behind it to jam it etc when you shut it. Hinge dogs, a few locks will be pretty secure. Open out leaves the locks exposed unless there double rebated, so is probably about the same security level.

Hi Steve, big fan of your work!

I looked into the door opening options a while back. The main reasons I took away for the door opening inwards was physical security. Its easier to block your front door with your security chain, body etc when opening and trying to peer out to see if its your mother-in-law (I knew it was her, the mice were throwing themselves on the traps - L.Dawson).

Public building often open outwards for fire esacape purposes.

I would fit outward opening doors with good security hinges, hinge bolts and fit steel around the frame.

Sean

Outwards is harder to break down as there is a frame behind it. Doesn't take any space in your workshop, can't get trapped inside as easily. so +1 for outwards.

As someone said front doors are inwards to prevent smashing visitors in the face, which I always thought was a shame...

Well I didn't get going very early today, but I've only just come in, so still a decent day's graft. But it is so much harder on my own.

I started by cutting a length of membrane. The building is square, so I can use the front as a measure:

P1020874.JPG

and I stapled it into place. It would be much easier with two.

P1020876.JPG

The stapler is an Aldi/Lidl special and is generally pants. Ray's never misfires, this one is hit and miss. Sometime double. Ghastly piece of kit.

The staples themselves will not be very robust if it gets windy, so I have to put the laths on pretty much straight away. But I can't put the higher layers of membrane on by myself. so I've only nailed them up so far, so that the upper layers of membrane can be slid underneath.

P1020878.JPG

Then it was on with the cladding I painted yesterday. I found a problem as soon as I started. The cladding fits in between the corner trims, but as the wall is not fully skinned, I couldn't fit the corner trim. So I fixed some offcuts with screws to give me the position and worked to them.

I tapped each length down with a hammer and a scrap of cladding so as not to damage the tongue. It's not easy aligning a full length, I can tell you.

P1020879.JPG

This is what it will end up looking like:

P1020881.JPG

I need to punch one or two nails, but most of them have set themselves. Then I can fill the holes and paint over. Does anyone have any recommendations for a suitable filler, preferably a gun-applied one? I want to be able to squirt, smooth, paint.

P1020882.JPG

I wish Ray would stop faffing about with that bit of a guttering job of his.

Attachments

• P1020874.JPG
    P1020874.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 1,206
  • P1020876.JPG
    P1020876.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 1,207
  • P1020878.JPG
    P1020878.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 1,207
  • P1020879.JPG
    P1020879.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 1,206
  • P1020881.JPG
    P1020881.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 1,207
  • P1020882.JPG
    P1020882.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 1,206
As I've been sitting here thinking about the day, I have realised that I have been a plonker. Not for the first time in my life admittedly, but I have today. I installed the temporary corner trim flush with the front and back of the sheathing. I should have installed it flush with the front and back of the lathing (which I have not yet installed on the front and back), so each piece of trim is 1" further in than it should be. Too late now.

But it is not the end of the world, it just means that I shall have to replace the 4x1 trim on the side walls with 5x1. I'm not sure if I can buy 5x1 sawn, I may have to rip down a couple of 6x1s. It's so frustrating that I have a perfectly excellent tablesaw that I can't use.

Back