Static in PVC Pipe.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The question to ask is how many home workshops have exploded over the last twenty or thirty years due to ignition of an explosive atmosphere within the extraction system, I cannot find anything. If the pipes are flowing gas or a powder then you will be under ATEX regs and then it is not just the ducting / pipework you need to be concerned with but all electrical fittings as well. As for the bonding, Sporky is correct in that if there is a need for bonding then just relying on a push fit pipe is not good enough, if in any doubt then read the machinery directive and electrical guides on bonding and protective conductors. A good example here is that any panel on an electrical system that is designed to be detached or opened must have it's own bonding conductor, you cannot rely on hinges or the fasteners.

So let's just get on with woodworking and stop worrying about the what if's, you are probably at more risk from being hit by a frozen cowpat from an aircraft than your extraction system exploding.

I think I am in agreement with you. I am gonna set it up and then see how big an issue the static shocks are. Thanks all for the input.

I’m sure I have contributed to these debates in the past, experience says that it all gets heated quite quickly. Suffice to say, if you are worried, thread a bare copper wire through your plastic ducting and ground. I did this in a school workshop and it’s been working without incident for 15 years now.

https://www.axminstertools.com/dust-extraction-system-grounding-kit-510412
We did this same thing in a school workshop CNC router which occasionally lost the plot. Manufacturers advised that it could be a static issue. Copper wire did help the problem

We did this same thing in a school workshop CNC router which occasionally lost the plot. Manufacturers advised that it could be a static issue. Copper wire did help the problem

Yes but with CNC machines it's a different problem, CNC control systems can be affected by electrical interference which is why the hoses should be grounded.

Back