Startrite SD300 planer thicknesser drive chain.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chidge10

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I recently bought a Startrite SD300 planer thicknesser that had the drive chain and the drive cog missing. Whilst I have managed to get replacement parts I cannot figure out the drive chain path/configuration.
The new chain I have is an endless loop which I assume has been supplied to me at the correct length, but I can't fathom out the route it is supposed to take. I've attache a photo of the 2 sprockets and the white nylon chain tensioner that the chain runs on.
Does anyone have an SD300 that they can take a picture of the drive chain for me please.
Thanks.
Chidge.
image1.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a sd310 but the chain comes from the small sprocket thats on the rubber covered drive wheel up to the left hand sprocket in your pic over the top to the right hand one then down passing over the tensioner (or under) then down to the small sprocket at the bottom...

I have a sd310 but the chain comes from the small sprocket thats on the rubber covered drive wheel up to the left hand sprocket in your pic over the top to the right hand one then down passing over the tensioner (or under) then down to the small sprocket at the bottom...
Thanks for your reply. I will give it a go. I did think it was something like that, but the chain is very near/touching the drive shaft of the cutter head which I though looked a bit dodgy. I will give it a go though. Cheers.

have repaired a few dif makes of planes with endless chain drives......
most of the time u have to ease the sprockets to the end of the shafts .......having one sproket loose to slip the chain over...
then feed it all back on the shafts...

normally there's not enough slack in the adjuster to get em over the sprockets and keep the chain tight.....
the difference just one link makes is a nightmare.....can be too loose or tight....

Back