Planer Thicknesser - Griggio FS530

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Dolan

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this forum and have a query regarding a griggio planer thickenesser. I happened to see some members had one from a previous post. I have bought a Griggio FS530 but I have an issue with the drive chain assembly. I have tried to get a manual but I still haven’t managed to find one. Would anyone on here have that griggio planer thicknesser or know where I could get a manual? It’s a beast of a planer and fantastic for straightening I’d love to get it back up and running. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks Matthew

What exactly is your issue with the chain drive? These are very simple machines and there’s usually very little to go wrong.
Hi, I have bought it with the chain off and I have a nylon roller but the chain still seems loose. Ideally I’d like a manual or photo of similar to be sure I’m not missing a sprocket also. Thanks

Matt,
often the chains are loose anyway......
when u say loose do u mean hanging of or a little slack.......
very few machines have enough room for the idler to take up all the slack.....
often the chains are not split, no split link, so u need a little slack to get em on the sprockets.....
the manuf will buy in a standard chain and make do, where sometimes a 1/2 link would make a huge difference.....
give us a few photos of how u set it up, and this will help us to diagnose with the problem....

Matt,
often the chains are loose anyway......
when u say loose do u mean hanging of or a little slack.......
very few machines have enough room for the idler to take up all the slack.....
often the chains are not split, no split link, so u need a little slack to get em on the sprockets.....
the manuf will buy in a standard chain and make do, where sometimes a 1/2 link would make a huge difference.....
give us a few photos of how u set it up, and this will help us to diagnose with the problem....
Hi this does seem to have a split chain but I’m not sure if we’re missing a sprocket or it has been modified by previous owner 🤦🏻‍♂️ It’s difficult to get a good picture but see attached photos taken from the top looking down. Ideally if someone on here had a similar one or a manual that would be fantastic. All help is greatly appreciated Thanks Matthew

Attachments

• 36ABD9A7-CD6E-4DE9-BA8F-D3ED2639C43D.jpeg
    36ABD9A7-CD6E-4DE9-BA8F-D3ED2639C43D.jpeg
    541.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 5C22F173-E1E2-401E-A107-ABC4977BE860.jpeg
    5C22F173-E1E2-401E-A107-ABC4977BE860.jpeg
    725.3 KB · Views: 0
  • B62A1E14-B8D6-441E-9F47-F06BDD3A6989.jpeg
    B62A1E14-B8D6-441E-9F47-F06BDD3A6989.jpeg
    495.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 0E1D0D94-93A6-4822-A609-659B9A4639CE.jpeg
    0E1D0D94-93A6-4822-A609-659B9A4639CE.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 0
Looking at picture 3, it looks like the right hand side of the chain is going the wrong side of a peg in the roller tensioner arm. On second thoughts I think there may be a roller missing from that peg and that that is just a tension compensator arrangement. I assume main chain adjustment is by sliding the top small pulley left/right

I searched and found one for the 430 on one site and the 530 of another but they both cost and I have no idea if they are good manuals or just sales brochures like the free ones on other sites. I also have no idea about their integrity so you have to make the decision as to whether they are worth it.
https://www.all-usermanuals.com/checkouthttps://www.scosarg.com/copy-of-manual-for-griggio-fs430-planer-thicknessr
There was a thread here recently where someone was having a problem with their chain drive on a different machine. It either had an extra link or the chain was stretched and needed replacing. Maybe a member will remember better than I and be able to find it.

Pete

This was the thread. Now I'll have to reread it to see if it applies to your situation.
I think Spectrics comment sin the linked thread are right so the chain on the infeed roller should miss the idler and go down to the bottom drive pulley and the chain from the outfeed roller goes round the idler and then over the nylon tensioner. Idler will have to move a bit towards the outfeed

Thanks guys for your replies much appreciated. I think he’s right the chain should go straight from the drive pulley to the infeed roller. I believe this sprocket is an add on by a previous owner (see pic attached). I’m thinking would it be possible that I’m missing this sprocket lower down or is it just the nylon idler that will take the slack out of my chain? I’ll give it a try and see how I go. I had managed to get the manual from Scott and Sargent for the FS430 as Pete suggested but it’s more of a sales brochure and doesn’t show the drive chain assembly. The search continues 👀 It’s a fantastic machine when running for straightening with the long table I’d love to get this chain sorted so I can thickness too as I’m tight for space in the workshop 🤦🏻 Matthew

Attachments

• 211A0687-42F1-4E39-A6E5-7328F1FF252D.jpeg
    211A0687-42F1-4E39-A6E5-7328F1FF252D.jpeg
    555 KB · Views: 0
I just noticed in the last picture (should have seen it in the earlier post) that there is what looks like a pin or shaft lower down that possibly should have a sprocket or roller. It is where the chain takes a little bend. Could something be missing there or the chain needs to be rerouted to clear it?

Pete

I just noticed in the last picture (should have seen it in the earlier post) that there is what looks like a pin or shaft lower down that possibly should have a sprocket or roller. It is where the chain takes a little bend. Could something be missing there or the chain needs to be rerouted to clear it?

Pete

Yes that’s what the idler sits on it has two pins nylon idler on one but there’s nothing on the other one 🤔 Makes me think I could be missing a sprocket from down there too?

Thanks

Hi I am new to this forum and have a query regarding a griggio planer thickenesser. I happened to see some members had one from a previous post. I have bought a Griggio FS530 but I have an issue with the drive chain assembly. I have tried to get a manual but I still haven’t managed to find one. Would anyone on here have that griggio planer thicknesser or know where I could get a manual? It’s a beast of a planer and fantastic for straightening I’d love to get it back up and running. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks Matthew
I've had a search online here in Italy but as they went out of business in 2018 and even today websites in Italy can leave a thing or two to be desired, not much to be found other than 2nd hand machines.

I've had a search online here in Italy but as they went out of business in 2018 and even today websites in Italy can leave a thing or two to be desired, not much to be found other than 2nd hand machines.
Thanks for searching I noticed myself there is very limited information or manuals available. I’m living in hope that somebody on here has one or even the FS430 so I could get a photo of the chain drive assembly 🤞🏼

It took me 2 days to register with SCM last week to try and find out precisely what size blades would have been supplied with my planer thicknessser. In the end I called SCM in the UK. Even after registering I still can't get on the SCM parts website in Italy. I used to get my blades sharpened and cutters made by a great guy in Newry.

I had the same problem. It’s your power supply. I had a Electrian in and he altered something nowI can use any machines no problem

In picture 3 I see a small white idler or jockey wheel mounted at the end of a sprung green arm just above the lowest sprocket, that doesn’t seem to be doing anything to take up tension in the chain run. I‘m guessing where the chain is currently showing passing from the bottom sprocket upto the top left , on the left side of the idler wheel, it should actually pass on its opposite side to tension the longest run of chain on the machine.

Attachments

• 84C9D56F-88CD-4DD3-BC80-190A27291CA5.jpeg
    84C9D56F-88CD-4DD3-BC80-190A27291CA5.jpeg
    577.7 KB · Views: 0
Back