Startrite 351SB Bandsaw Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hurley

Reaction score
Hello,
I have always had an interest in woodworking and following moving house, I finally have space to have a workshop of my very own.
I have been begging, borrowing and stealing equipment (occasionally spending a little money when forced) and now have something ready to make a lot of fire wood.
Someone has kindly lent me Smartrite 351SB bandsaw which requires a new blade. Not hugely experienced in such things but with the internet at my disposal I have come to conclusion this is actually quite a rare piece of equipment.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

The label states that the max blade length is 2720mm (however the person that gave it me suggested a slightly shorted blade worked better). I struggling to find anywhere that stocks this length or what is an acceptable shorter one.

It hasn't come with a manual, rip guard, table insert, mitre and will likely need a new set of blade guards in the near future.

Any guidance would be much appreciated

Thank you

give tuffsaws a shout. Ian will talk you through what blade you need, based on what you are cutting, and then will make you one to the correct length. He will then charge you less than if you bought it from anywhere else

you could try alt saws for the parts. I would also look into aftermarket mitre gauges and fences if required (or make a fence). I expect that the Startrite ones will be better than the ones on cheaper bandsaws, but the latter are often not great. The genuine part could be pricey. You should be able to make a table insert. On my bandsaw, the previous owner had turned one out of aluminium, and it is ideal.

Ian @ Tuffsaws will sort you out bladewise and you will learn alot during the conversation trust me. If you pm your email address I'll send you the plans for the fence I built for my Startrite 352, works really well and fun to build (adjusts for blade drift which is essential for a bandsaw), but honestly like most of us a straight piece of timber and a couple of crlamps will do most of the time.

The bandsaw is probably the most versatile bit of kit in my workshop and many other I'll bet. Have fun and with a good blade or two you have a very sweet bit of kit.

Alt Saws will get you any bits you need now or in the future.

fluffflinger":5803ayq4 said:
Ian @ Tuffsaws will sort you out bladewise and you will learn alot during the conversation trust me. If you pm your email address I'll send you the plans for the fence I built for my Startrite 352, works really well and fun to build (adjusts for blade drift which is essential for a bandsaw), but honestly like most of us a straight piece of timber and a couple of crlamps will do most of the time.

The bandsaw is probably the most versatile bit of kit in my workshop and many other I'll bet. Have fun and with a good blade or two you have a very sweet bit of kit.

Alt Saws will get you any bits you need now or in the future.

Link to Alt Saws - http://www.altsawsandspares.co.uk/spares.html

Thank you all for your comments.
I have now ordered my new blade from Tuff Saws. Ian was very helpful as expected

I have also emailed ALT but have yet to hear anything back.

Thanks again.

Back