Burgess BK2 bandsaw grrr

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeenToLearn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hopefully something daft I'm doing/ not doing. Just been given a Burgess BK2 bandsaw, think BK3 pretty much same? Problem is no matter how I adjust the tension/ tilt the tracking roller the band will not stay on. It rides up the flanged roller and pings off.

Things I have tried:

1. Prev owner had flanged wheel on wrong way round (perhaps as the one flange v worn)- t as result the flanges looked were offset rearwards- I turned round correct way- I have seen on Youtube that all 3 bosses should face towards you, this is how they all now are
2. Using a new Starrett 1435mm blade- even on max tight blade still deflects over half inch- had read should only be 1/4"- I cannot achieve this
3. tried various combinations of tension/ tracking adjustment, band still comes off
4, Checked all 3 wheels, none have any play as pulleys have metal sleeves running on steel pivots

What am I overlooking please, am wondering if obtain another blade and try that? I have had a bandsaw previously and never had a problem changing band.....

Progress...

Had another blade, tried that but fell off also. Taking white flanged pulley off and studying does not appear warped, but have fitted a spare red pulley in place of flanged one, adjusted pulley centring, blade guides etc and blade has stayed on and is centred!!!! After rotating by hand repeatedly, fitted cover and applied power. Works perfectly and quietly, have not tried cutting anything yet. Before I do, wanted to ask your opinion- is it safe to use without the flanges on the white pulley? To my mind they are there for a reason but at end of day are thin plastic flanges anyway and not ever going to stop a band coming off?

Im not familiar with that saw or the 'flanges' but i think those tyres could need replacing. Once the thickness of the tyres has worn, the machine will struggle to tension. A kity i had needed new tyres. I bought a pair for the machine but it wouldnt work, kept slipping off. 2 members here helped figure out the new tyres were the wrong thickness 🤷‍♂️

Hi KTL your bandsaw is correctly set up with 3 orange wheels. The white flanged wheel you mention is used for low speed operation suitable for metal cutting. When fitted it is located under the table and is the blade drive wheel. The drive belt runs on the circumference of this wheel and is kept in place by the flanges. The saw blade runs on the exposed surface of the belt.

Thanks v much Dizjasta, I haven't got a manual so that really does help. When I got the saw, the white flanged pulley was bottom left so just assumed that was where it went- as I said band refused to stay on. Going to use it for wood, so reassuring the 3 red wheels are how is meant to be. Id on't suppose anyone has a manual please they could photocopy/ scan? Looked all over online but no joy....

Last edited:
Hopefully something daft I'm doing/ not doing. Just been given a Burgess BK2 bandsaw, think BK3 pretty much same? Problem is no matter how I adjust the tension/ tilt the tracking roller the band will not stay on. It rides up the flanged roller and pings off.

Things I have tried:

1. Prev owner had flanged wheel on wrong way round (perhaps as the one flange v worn)- t as result the flanges looked were offset rearwards- I turned round correct way- I have seen on Youtube that all 3 bosses should face towards you, this is how they all now are
2. Using a new Starrett 1435mm blade- even on max tight blade still deflects over half inch- had read should only be 1/4"- I cannot achieve this
3. tried various combinations of tension/ tracking adjustment, band still comes off
4, Checked all 3 wheels, none have any play as pulleys have metal sleeves running on steel pivots

What am I overlooking please, am wondering if obtain another blade and try that? I have had a bandsaw previously and never had a problem changing band.....
7)7

Many years ago I came across this problem . It turned out that the body of the bandsaw Was distorted due to too much tension and /or tension not being released when not in use as was advised in those days . This is a light weight HOBBY type of machine made for occasional use. Modern two wheel bandsaws are much better especially ones with 10 “ or larger diameter wheels .

Latest posts

Back