Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Startrite 301 motor broken

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Stan in the shed

Reaction score
I recently bought a startrite 301 from a neighbour for £150, it worked fine when I got it but after very little use it suddenly stopped working and tripping out every time it was turned on. At first we thought it was the switch but after an electro toon freind of the person I bought it off had a look he realised it was the motor that was gone not the switch.
I need advise on what to do and how cheep it can be done, I don’t know weather too have it fixed as I don’t know what’s wrong with it or weather to just get a replacement, or a more powerful one.

anyone know whatto do or any motors that would work for it

thanks

minilathe22

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Motors are often a common size and easy to replace. If you take out the existing motor (which may not even be the original one) measure the diameter of spindle it has and see if there are any electrical details stamped on it, you should be able to get a replacement with similar specifications.

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
I'd be very surprised if the motor is totally cooked as it takes a lot of abuse to do that, it may need a new capacitor (at most a £15 fix) or they may be some other simple issue rather than binning out the motor.

If the motor does need replacing, the original motor on a Startrite 301 is 0.75HP, you'd need to pull it out and check the shaft diameter, key size and the base size (plus bolt hole locations) to find an adequate replacement, or even an upgrade to a higher power motor while you're at it.

guineafowl21

Established Member
Reaction score
Your post is a bit confusing. You say a sparky has looked at it and said the motor has gone, but then you say you don’t know what’s wrong with it.

We need to know what the fault is before advising whether it’s reasonably fixable. If you want to replace the motor, look at the rating plate fixed to it - it should have all the details you need. Alternatively, try here:

They are quite helpful with Startrite spares, and should point you in the right direction.

Stan in the shed

Reaction score
I think that the motor was damaged due too it being in a slightly open space for a few weeks while repairs on my workshop where being done meaning wet air cold have got into it, I’m going to first try and source a replacement motor rather than get tbis one fixed. I’m very new too this sort of stuff so a bit of advise Wouod be much appreciated

is their many flags sizes?
If so how do I tell what would fit on mine wi rn out buying it?

i know my 0.55kw is meant to be a bit underpowered, so if I look for a more powerful motor what wattage should I look for?

and as my workshop runs of an extension lead from the house with the bandsaw wired to a normal plug would a more powerful motor effect anything?