Startrite 301 motor broken

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan in the shed

Reaction score
I recently bought a startrite 301 from a neighbour for £150, it worked fine when I got it but after very little use it suddenly stopped working and tripping out every time it was turned on. At first we thought it was the switch but after an electro toon freind of the person I bought it off had a look he realised it was the motor that was gone not the switch.
I need advise on what to do and how cheep it can be done, I don’t know weather too have it fixed as I don’t know what’s wrong with it or weather to just get a replacement, or a more powerful one.

anyone know whatto do or any motors that would work for it

thanks

Motors are often a common size and easy to replace. If you take out the existing motor (which may not even be the original one) measure the diameter of spindle it has and see if there are any electrical details stamped on it, you should be able to get a replacement with similar specifications.

I'd be very surprised if the motor is totally cooked as it takes a lot of abuse to do that, it may need a new capacitor (at most a £15 fix) or they may be some other simple issue rather than binning out the motor.

If the motor does need replacing, the original motor on a Startrite 301 is 0.75HP, you'd need to pull it out and check the shaft diameter, key size and the base size (plus bolt hole locations) to find an adequate replacement, or even an upgrade to a higher power motor while you're at it.

Your post is a bit confusing. You say a sparky has looked at it and said the motor has gone, but then you say you don’t know what’s wrong with it.

We need to know what the fault is before advising whether it’s reasonably fixable. If you want to replace the motor, look at the rating plate fixed to it - it should have all the details you need. Alternatively, try here:

http://sharkbandsawblades.co.uk
They are quite helpful with Startrite spares, and should point you in the right direction.

I think that the motor was damaged due too it being in a slightly open space for a few weeks while repairs on my workshop where being done meaning wet air cold have got into it, I’m going to first try and source a replacement motor rather than get tbis one fixed. I’m very new too this sort of stuff so a bit of advise Wouod be much appreciated

is their many flags sizes?
If so how do I tell what would fit on mine wi rn out buying it?

i know my 0.55kw is meant to be a bit underpowered, so if I look for a more powerful motor what wattage should I look for?

and as my workshop runs of an extension lead from the house with the bandsaw wired to a normal plug would a more powerful motor effect anything?

I'd be very surprised if the motor is totally cooked as it takes a lot of abuse to do that, it may need a new capacitor (at most a £15 fix) or they may be some other simple issue rather than binning out the motor.

If the motor does need replacing, the original motor on a Startrite 301 is 0.75HP, you'd need to pull it out and check the shaft diameter, key size and the base size (plus bolt hole locations) to find an adequate replacement, or even an upgrade to a higher power motor while you're at it.
Hi there I think i've got the problem you outline with a capacitor. Where would I get such a capacitor at the price you mention (I've been quoted £95 for one). I cant see any information on the capacitor as to what it's specs are. If you have any info or can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

Robert

capacitors can be bought from eBay....just look at the mF ....micro farrad ? size and buy the same....
terminals are pretty much just spade terminals as used in older cars.....
if u need a motor they are also easy to buy on line....
I had a weired one on a French built wood machine.....found a supplier in Essex, sent as much info as poss, a few photo's and a new one was courriered out to me in France...motor was a higher HP but exactly the same fitting....it was a while ago but the motor was less than a 100pounds ...
made in Italy.......

4d05033b-889c-4f55-9f1a-fa4ade31b0ae_zpsjlsyg6xd.jpg

Is this the same motor ?
Taken from this thread...
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/startrite-301-bandsaw-motor-advice.95151/
Just trying to speed up some things for you,
Plenty of folks here or on the woodhaven2 could work out what replacement is needed from the motor name plate, should it be the same.
All I can tell you is you'd be best finding one which actually fits into the box,
or shroud, as some can be longer or wider.

That shouldn't be difficult to get both rating and size your after.
Surprised I couldn't find out the rating in the archives, as it's a common enough machine
Good luck

Tom

Attachments

• 1664295091708.jpeg
    1664295091708.jpeg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1
If it is that above ^^, then send that pic over to TEC motors.

Key points:
550W power class, single phase.
6 pole.
Frame type B56Y.

A B56 frame is an imperial motor with a 5/8 shaft. You would be better fitting a metric motor and also swapping the pulley. It’s a 6 pole motor, which are not cheap.

capacitors can be bought from eBay....just look at the mF ....micro farrad ? size and buy the same....
terminals are pretty much just spade terminals as used in older cars.....
if u need a motor they are also easy to buy on line....
I had a weired one on a French built wood machine.....found a supplier in Essex, sent as much info as poss, a few photo's and a new one was courriered out to me in France...motor was a higher HP but exactly the same fitting....it was a while ago but the motor was less than a 100pounds ...
made in Italy.......
Have sent message regarding paramedics, via conversations

Latest posts

Back