Startrite 301 compared to RP BS350-X ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrimper

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had a Startrite 301 since 1987, it still works fine but I was considering getting something more powerful, I recently saw the RP BS350-X in Tewkesbury saw service showroom and it looked quite decent to me, I use a bandsaw for resawing mostly softwood and I find the startrite sometimes makes hard work of it, would the BS350 be any better or will a good quality blade in my 301 be up to the job?

Where is the best place to buy 88" blades from and does the quality vary much? TBH I have always just bought the cheap ones from Screwfix and did not realise that the quality varied much from more expensive ones?

Hi Srimper

I also buy my blade from Screwfix and on whole I have been happy with them too.

I am in no rush to change but I will at some time try one of the more expensive ones :)

Colin C":2zwjo5dc said:
Hi Srimper

I also buy my blade from Screwfix and on whole I have been happy with them too.

I am in no rush to change but I will at some time try one of the more expensive ones :)

The reason that I was dubious about my blades was that the last time I mentioned that my 301 was not cutting wonderfully to the bloke in Tewkesbury Saw service he said you want to buy a decent blade, I don't know if it was sales talk or if more expensive blades really do make a difference, I have found that paying more does not always mean you get better stuff. :)

Your bandsaw might be a put bit more fussy than my SIP :roll: :wink:

Try a better blade and see how it goes as that can be a problem too :)

I have the 350 and have used the Startrite before - I would stick with the Startrite and buy a decent blade unless the rest of the machine's in really bad nick.
The 350 may have a little more capacity and isn't bad for the price - but if you don't need the extra capacity I'm sure the Startrite is better made.
Try Dure Edge for blades.
Cheers
Gidon

gidon":15a7xovh said:
I have the 350 and have used the Startrite before - I would stick with the Startrite and buy a decent blade unless the rest of the machine's in really bad nick.
The 350 may have a little more capacity and isn't bad for the price - but if you don't need the extra capacity I'm sure the Startrite is better made.
Try Dure Edge for blades.
Cheers
Gidon

Thanks for that, :) the 301 is in excellent order, I just thought that the 350 might have had more power but I reckon that I will take your advice and try another blade, my main problem is blade wander but I think the blade that's in ATM has a bias and wants scrapping.

BTW where does one find these Dure Edge blades?

Hi Srimper,

I've always found Tewkesbury saw to be very helpful.

The bandsaw blades they supply are usually of a high standard and I'm sure you would benefit from a better quality blade :wink:

Regards

Andy

Scrimper, I have had good service and no complaints from blades purchased from Truecut in Ross.
Don't know if they are up to Dure Edge grade as I have not used one of theirs as yet.

http://www.theblisses.co.uk/contact.html

A phone call often results in next day delivery.

What width and what TPI blade do you normally use, maybe a change of blade tooth form may give better performance for your tasks.

As gidon said, if I had a Startrite and it met my needs on capacity I would stick with it.

As far a Tewkesbury Saw, ignoring exotics that may well be wasted on the startrite I would say he has given valid advice in saying a good quality blade makes a lot of difference..

Hi Scrimper( nice name by the way, arn't we all!!)
take a look at https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... hp?t=16846
seems everyone has problems setting up their bandsaw !!
a good sharp blade of a good quality is essential along with proper tensioning
the startrite is a heavy duty machine compared to my dewalt which is really only a hobby/very light trade machine.
i use dragon blades bought of Ebay at a tenner a go, 1/2" 3 teeth per inch will resaw all day especially softwood :D but you need to make sure that it is set up right,
i set the tension to their recommendation for a 5/8" blade or more, i tighten up the tension enough to stop the blade coming off the wheels, then turn the machine on and tighten up until the machine sounds sweet :shock:
by this i mean you can audibly hear when you have it right :wink:
i don't need to do this now as i know it takes nearly the max to tension the blade, so i crank it up to the 5/8" mark and then listen to how its running and tweak it from there!!
from what i hear on the forum dure edge are very good !!
don't give up mate :wink: i wish i had your startrite !!

Thanks for the replies folks, all useful stuff.

FWIW I mostly use 1/2" - 5/8" 3 skip blades, I don't need smaller blades as I have a couple of smaller bandsaws that I inherited to use for smaller cuts.

One is an old B&D 3 wheel job and the other one of those cheapo Ferm ones from Screwfix which really is not much use TBH.

I generally prefer using the Hegner fretsaw for radius cutting. :)

Well on Tuesday I popped in to Tewkesbury saw service to buy at least one new bandsaw blade to get me going again, what a disappointment I asked for an 88" 5/8" 3t skip blade, the bloke looked in a box and said "sorry we don't have any, but I could order one for you" so I said well I suppose a 1/2" will do, again he looked, "no we have none of those either" but we have got some fish and bone blades that will fit! I declined the offer as I had one years ago and they are too thin and weave all over the place in wood!

I also wanted to have a look at the Record 350 and 500 band saws they had neither in the showroom although they did have a few weeks ago when I took my planer blades in, he said they had been sold, I asked when more stock would arrive and was informed that they would not reorder until the smaller models had been sold, so in essence if you want a large saw you have to wait until someone comes along and buys the small models first!

So I left with my wallet unopened and not very pleased with their stock holding! :shock:

Hi Scrimper

Give Roger a ring at Toolite 01594 544521
I've just checked and he has both models on show

Regards

Andy

andys wood shed":30a9tbcb said:
Hi Scrimper

Give Roger a ring at Toolite 01594 544521
I've just checked and he has both models on show

Regards

Andy

Thanks for that Andy, I have never actually visited Toolite, a few years ago I sent them an email enquiry and they chose to ignore me so I 'left them alone' too! But I suppose I could give them a second chance, are they any good?

scrimper":1yzynwxh said:
Thanks for that Andy, I have never actually visited Toolite, a few years ago I sent them an email enquiry and they chose to ignore me so I 'left them alone' too! But I suppose I could give them a second chance, are they any good?

Hi Scimper
I've never bought a band saw blade from them so I have no experience about the quality they stock although I don't think I would have any reservations if, on one of my visits, needed one

The shop is amazing IMHO well worth a visit and I've always been well looked after :wink:

When I get the chance I do like to visit but give your self a few hours you will need them :lol:

They also offer a delivery van service to the Gloucester area so if I know what I want I get it dropped off.
Check with Roger if this service covers your area.

I can understand the no reply to your email although its no excuse for not replying they are probably not yet set up for that type of business but please give them another chance I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

I also find Bell tools another useful shop.

I have no connection with Toolite just a happy customer :)

Regards

Andy

I bought my RP BS350 from TSC - it's not a brilliant machine (I had trouble with the blade tensioner) but it's pretty good.

Tewkesbury were very helpful when I blunted a blade far too quickly while resawing 4" English oak. The guy really knew what he was talking about, advised me on the right blade, sent one through the post against a credit card, received next day. Robert's your Mum's brother! I've re-sawn loads of oak since with no probs.

What more do you want of a bandsaw blade supplier?!

Back