Starting young!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrimper

Established Member
Reaction score
Picture of my 8yr old grandson using the Hobbies treadle saw for the first time and loving it! Kept him occupied all afternoon!

Attachments

• IMG_3476 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3476 (Medium).JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 1,042
And this is my Dad using the Hobbies Imperial almost 100 years ago! So fretwork seems to run in the family, started by my Grandfather then my Father, myself and now the grandson!

Attachments

• File0044 (Large).jpg
    File0044 (Large).jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,037
Brilliant and what a piece of family history! there are very few photo's of my family left after a fire many years ago but here you have a photo from 100 years ago that could have been taken yesterday.
Brian

Great scrimper, nice memory. My own first ever go on a scroll/fret saw was on a treadle Hobbies machine when I was still at Primary School - I must have been about 10 or 11 and had a very understanding teacher. I guess school kids don't get such chances today, unless they have parents or grand parents who encourage them that is?

Krgds
AES

Just been showing my wife the photos and she said "Don't they have any electricity down there?" LOL I might buy her a treadle sewing machine for chrimbo 9-)
Brian

Fantastic, keep him at it, lovely to see a youngster enjoying a non electronic machine :)

Scrimper.

That takes be back, to when I was 7 or 8 years old ( which is in the long and distant past), my uncle who was a fine cabinet maker gave me a fretwork set, consisting of a hand fretsaw, the clamp on vee type cutting table and an Archimedes drill.

His promise was, if I ever come up on the football pools I will get you a treadle fretsaw, needless to say the pools never came his way. :(

A good record of family history you have there.

Take care.

Chris R.

That takes me back as well. I was about that age when I had a pedal fretsaw and I'm coming up tp 75 now. I used to make loads of dolls house furniture for my sisters and it was great fun.

I guess that if those were about now, the children these days wouldn't be interested at all, but it didn't take long to learn. I have aquired a Record 16S now, but perhaps an upgrade is called for some time.

Back