Starting out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it entirely fair trying to push me down the slippery slope before I've even managed to get on my feet woodworking wise :)

Seriously though, thanks everyone for the advice. I have ordered the Festool multifunction table to go with the saw which arrived today but have decided to wait before making any more large machinery purchases.

Whats left of the budget I will use to buy a basic set of decent hand tools. To start with a small tenon/dovetail saw, some decent chisels and a small block plane, all things I wished I'd had in the last few weeks.

oh and obviously I will be buying lots of clamps :)

Graeme

...but don't buy those rubbishy clamps from Focus (called Olympia or Olympic..summat like that) which I warned folks about a few months back.

If you're thinking about a planer/thicknesser then read the threads re the pro's and con's of two separate machines as opposed to one. I did...bought two separate ones and never regretted it.

Only silly impulse purchase I made was a bandsaw. Bought it ..but for what reason now totally escapes me..as I've never used it. :oops:

Hi Graeme

Not sure I can add much to what's already been said ...

But for that money I would try and get a planer/thicknesser and a table saw. This gives you pretty much everthing you need to prepare your timber. I coped for a long time without a p/t but since I've got one it's made a world of difference. It gives you a lot more freedom. Spend as much as you can on these two things and you're be well on your way in my opinion.

I'm sure the Festool will be an excellent choice - especially for converting large sheets. But I find in a small workshop, it's a lot harder to find space to bring a tool to the wood than vice versa. And for repeat accurate cuts it is hard to beat a table saw. Say you had 12 rails to cut all the same width - on a table saw set your fence and you're away - all cuts will be identical. With a circular saw, no matter how fancy, it's going to be more tricky to do the same thing.

If you're still interested in a bandsaw have a look at my review of the Record BS350 in the tools review section. But I've managed 6 years without one - it's a not a finish tool, you'll still need work after you come off the bandsaw, but it's an incredibly versatile tool and I'm really enjoying it.

As for hand tools, I would get a really good quality block plane (like the Lie Nielsen low angle) - very versatile and some decent chisels. See how hand tools should work (and learn to get a really sharp edge too). Together with the above machinery, your router, circular saw and some handsaws there won't be much you can't do. Of course you'll add to this as you go along - I would love to build up my hand tool collection - and very slowly am!

Have fun!

Cheers

Gidon

Hi Gidon,

I read your review of the BS350. I was originally thinking of getting the Electra Beckum BAS16G but after doing some more research and reading some comments on the forums I was leaning towards the BS300. Now after your review I am wondering whether to get the BS350 on the basis that you cant ever have to much power or capacity and I want to make sure I don't buy something I will want to upgrade in a years time. I hate decisions :roll:

Graeme

Back