started jigging again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
First day back in my workshop for nearly 9 months. (six months holiday and nearly 2 months hard labour in the garden and housework)

So I knocked up a jig to use with my SMCS saw to make mitre joints for my box making interests.

The past problems with this type of saw is that the blade is inclined to push the timber about on the platform because of the blade angles etc.

So I made a platform and cut through the end with a 45 degree cut to stop tear out (another problem solved).
Then the platform is fastened down with a peg and a screw which comes through the saw fence.

Finally various clamps are set up to resist any other movements and a stop clamp is used to create fixed length of timber pieces.

set of Pictures which I hope displays some of my ideas.

jigformitrecutsSMCSaw.jpg

2ndjigpic.jpg

A box gllued up from an offcut of sycamore lying around from last year.

boxgluedandclampedup.jpg

DW - I might be inclined to invest in a couple of these ....you may find it much easier to pull those mitres right up, only a thought - Rob

Somemore pictures of the current project.

Decided to work some more on this box, it started as a trial run on the Jig first mentioned earlier in the thread.

Cut of the lid using the Triton workcentre which is ideal for this type of work because the blade guard and splitter lifts off the table but leaves a riving knife still behind blade.

Next I looked out a black walnut veneer that Lynx kindly gve me and put in the lid recess.

To avoid the cost of hinges I hve made the lid a drop in version, and now considering making some side handles to make lifting of lid a smooth action.

So the tools used to make the box so far are:
Tablesaw to cut original length of around 30"x 2 1/2"(scrap piece of sycamore)
Table router to mould lid & bottom recesses.
SCMS saw to cut mitres
Hand planes and japenesse saw to do some of the handwork.

Pictures of progress so far below.

box1post.jpg

box2post.jpg

By the way its Sunday 10 am and its the darkest I have ever experienced at this time of day here in Devon. No wonder they have abandoned the Ten Tors Expedition on Dartmoor.

Back to the box.

Knocked up some side handles using the router table and a 3/8 ovolo router bit and attached the handles to the lid.

Next dicided I needed some feet and had some moulding premachined laying around so I proceeded to cut the mitrs on the jig pictured because they were too small to push around the SCMS saw.

mitrejig1.jpg

mitrejig2.jpg

mitrejig3.jpg

After mitres were cut a made a base plate to glue them upto, but something happened I shall never do again. I laid the bit of batten for the base plate on the SCMS saw bed without clamping down and pulled the blade down. BANG bits of timber flew across the workshop, so I'm always clamping down in future even if lunch is nearly ready.

feet.jpg

Final picture shows the box awaiting a finish, most probably wax, and the wife said I could use the box to keep my papers in instead of the Clover margarine box presently used in the living room.

boxfinished.jpg

Back