Staircase jig for spindle moulder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive just seen one of these but cant get my head around how it works :-k
Any ideas anyone ? It looks like a jig for the router , maybe they have got the name wrong :-k

Would't fancy trying to manover a string over the top of a spindle moulder :? so they probably mean a router jig. Just made a short (8 tread) open riser flight thismorning, used a bit of MDF to make the template.

Jason

More likely for an overhead router or pin router, I'll leave it to Scrit to put his anorak on and tell us the full details :wink:

Assume the cutter comes up from below, casting clamps to outside of string, pin on the arm drops down into the template and you raise the cutter and move the string about guided by the pin in the template. Would need some form of ball rollers to support the string so its easier to move about.

Jason

jasonB":2xtspgyr said:
More likely for an overhead router or pin router, I'll leave it to Scrit to put his anorak on and tell us the full details :wink:
Oooooh bitchy! You're quite right - there is a top piece which goes on the spindle and this hold the cutter in a collet. There is an overhead template follow pin arm which is attached to the top of stringer and the entire stringer is manipulated over the cutter. This is a 2 man job and requires about 30ft long workshop - oh and no ball rollers, Jason, you just wax the table top before starting with paraffin wax. The template is moved down the stringer for each step. BTW this option was normally only available on industrial spindles and nobody has made these jigs for years

I'll post a photo later this evening - after I've rebooted this tin box.

Scrit

And her it is folks the stair housing jig for a spindle moulder in glorious living monochrome:

StairHousingJigforSpindles.jpg

Looks quite like an inverted pin router (see Onsrud on the net if interested). The Wadkin LQ recessor can do a very similar job:

StairHousingontheLQRecessor.jpg

Scrit

Ah, you just dont see woodworkers in ties like that any more. :) Actually looking again, isn't that Fred Astaire? :wink:

I think id rather do it with a router !
I was just wondering if the Legacy could handle a staircase , it would do a straight flight but i dont think it could handle winders as the trench would be to long so easier to do it with a straight edge or home made jig .

mailee":3e3f5xl5 said:
Ah, you just dont see woodworkers in ties like that any more. :) Actually looking again, isn't that Fred Astaire? :wink:
Eeeh lad, from Rochdale? (the upper illustration is from a Robinson document) Tha'll be lucky!

Scrit

I think the tie wearing joiner went out of fashion when people realised that wearing flappy clothing while using big machinery wasn't just a lost finger . Big machines drag you in :shock: Finger , hand , arm . In this case tie then head :shock: Correct me if im wrong .

Back