• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Spray Painting Glass

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Geoff_S

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to spray paint a sheet of glass 4' x 4'. The glass will serve as a table top with the painted side underneath.

Has anyone done something similar and if so, what spray paint did you use?

Cheers

Jake

Established Member
Reaction score
We had a repeated issue colour matching on our kitchen, solution eventually found via help from Avko and a really good glazier, so I didn't use it myself but it came out well and they seemed to know what they are doing.

HappyHacker

Established Member
Reaction score
My only experience is spraying windows with emulsion when I did not get the plastic shield in place properly :( It stuck really well but could be scraped off.

owen

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine it would be easy to get a good even finish, would you be better off with some kind of tinting film?

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
It's pretty simple, just make sure you use low iron glass otherwise you get a green tinge to the colour.
We just use AC.

Geoff_S

Established Member
Reaction score
doctor Bob":2sv2qsfx said:
It's pretty simple, just make sure you use low iron glass otherwise you get a green tinge to the colour.
We just use AC.
Sorry Bob, what is AC?

John Brown

Social media influenza
Reaction score
Is there a reason you wish to spray it, rather than brush or roller?
I seem to remember my father making glass bottomed trays as gifts, and painting the underside with a brush. I also seem to remember a flawless finish, but it was half a century ago, so I could be wrong.

Geoff_S

Established Member
Reaction score
John Brown":3ql2113y said:
Is there a reason you wish to spray it, rather than brush or roller?
I seem to remember my father making glass bottomed trays as gifts, and painting the underside with a brush. I also seem to remember a flawless finish, but it was half a century ago, so I could be wrong.
No preference, I just assumed that it would be a spray. If there is a brush/roller option then even better. I still need to know what would be the best paint to use though.

Inspector

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck!
Reaction score
Paint the outside of some jars with whatever you have and look at them from the inside. I doubt it will make a difference as the glass surface will dictate how it looks. The durability will depend on whether it is protected or not.

Talk to a body shop and see what they will charge to shoot it with a colour they will be applying on a job soon. Might be cheaper that way and a more durable paint too.

Pete

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
Selemix Direct Adhesion Topcoat, sticks like nothing else and is used in the glass splashback industry, I use it for when I restore machines and it's pretty hard wearing.