Spray Painting Glass

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff_S

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to spray paint a sheet of glass 4' x 4'. The glass will serve as a table top with the painted side underneath.

Has anyone done something similar and if so, what spray paint did you use?

Cheers

We had a repeated issue colour matching on our kitchen, solution eventually found via help from Avko and a really good glazier, so I didn't use it myself but it came out well and they seemed to know what they are doing.

My only experience is spraying windows with emulsion when I did not get the plastic shield in place properly :( It stuck really well but could be scraped off.

I can't imagine it would be easy to get a good even finish, would you be better off with some kind of tinting film?

It's pretty simple, just make sure you use low iron glass otherwise you get a green tinge to the colour.
We just use AC.

doctor Bob":2sv2qsfx said:
It's pretty simple, just make sure you use low iron glass otherwise you get a green tinge to the colour.
We just use AC.

Sorry Bob, what is AC?

Is there a reason you wish to spray it, rather than brush or roller?
I seem to remember my father making glass bottomed trays as gifts, and painting the underside with a brush. I also seem to remember a flawless finish, but it was half a century ago, so I could be wrong.

John Brown":3ql2113y said:
Is there a reason you wish to spray it, rather than brush or roller?
I seem to remember my father making glass bottomed trays as gifts, and painting the underside with a brush. I also seem to remember a flawless finish, but it was half a century ago, so I could be wrong.

No preference, I just assumed that it would be a spray. If there is a brush/roller option then even better. I still need to know what would be the best paint to use though.

Paint the outside of some jars with whatever you have and look at them from the inside. I doubt it will make a difference as the glass surface will dictate how it looks. The durability will depend on whether it is protected or not.

Talk to a body shop and see what they will charge to shoot it with a colour they will be applying on a job soon. Might be cheaper that way and a more durable paint too.

Pete

Selemix Direct Adhesion Topcoat, sticks like nothing else and is used in the glass splashback industry, I use it for when I restore machines and it's pretty hard wearing.

Geoff_S":1hwck1zg said:
doctor Bob":1hwck1zg said:
We just use AC.

Sorry Bob, what is AC?

Acid catalyst lacquer.

Latest posts

Back