Spray Booth

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedmc571

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm considering a knock down spraying booth in my 17 x 8 garage workshop for a project I'm working on.

Is it feasable? and what do I need ?

Cheers

Jed

Everything is feasible if you have limitless amounts of money / time :roll: If you gave a bit more information i.e. size of project, type of spraying equipment you intend using, what finish do you intend spraying etc. people might be able to help.

Steve

Might be wrong here, but you seem a bit narked by my post ?

I'm thinking of interior doors at the moment, with a water based satin finish, but to be honest, I want to consider all size projects, as the finish is much better.
Spraying with an Earlex HV5000, and I want something than can be put away afterwards, could be as simple as plastic sheet, but do I need to consider extraction?

Cheers

Jed

Why not pin up plastic sheets i would only personally make a booth if you are likely to do more. Extraction is the hardest part will speak to a few people i know and see what they say

If you are laquering it depedning on what you are spraying definetly get a good mask dont skimp what ever you do

Jed

I have recently made a knock down spray booth. I plan to post some details when I next get it out to spray the units I have shown in this thread https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/pain ... 39492.html.

In my case, the considerations were: knockable down to flat pack, transportable, capable of taking an 8ft wide unit/door, well sealed as it is being used initially in smallish rooms that have been finished.

I looked far and wide for examples and guidance, and the best I found was here http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/knoc ... booth.aspx. My own design was rather different and more flexible, but this was very helpful and my construction follows the same principles.

I worked on the guidance that you should aim for 6,000 cfm on the fan - my experience so far, however, is that this is very generous as I only needed to run the fan at pretty much its lowest speed to maintain a good flow into the filter. At full speed, you can feel the breeze!

The major outlay was:
A (500mm) plate extractor fan http://www.eltafans.com/select-axial.php and controller - approx £300 all up
Some filter material http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Paint-Spray-Booth ... 563711e449
One sheet of 18mm plywood and 3 sheets of 6mm
Some 21.5mm overflow pipe and connectors which form a frame for polythene which I have used for the front enclosure.

It is clear that you are confined to using water based finishes unless you can build a more sophisticated dedicated facility. I am not (yet) an expert on finishes and am still at the early stages on using the spray booth, but it has been well tested and works very well.

Unfortunately I do not have any photos of the booth erected and it will be a couple of weeks before I am back there, but I will put some up when I can.

I hope that helps

cheers

Scholar
I'll be interested to see that.. I've dabbled with various packaway solution in the past, from ones that use the garage doors as booth sides to a garden gazebo.

They've all been better than nothing but not good enough to be really useable, especially as I was trying to spray cellulose. I've actually given up and gone back to rubbed finishes. The hard wax-oils of Osmo and Chestnut are very good, but I don't have the variety of sheens this way.

If you've got something better than the Highland offering, I'm all ears.
S

Cheers fellas.

I reckon it will end up being plastic sheet based, anly because I have no storage space for sheet goods. Smaller jobs would be easy enough, but I'm looking at 4 panel pre primed shaker doors ( full size interior doors ) and It would take ages to get a nice rolled on finish without runs.

I've not ruled out the Gazebo idea, I saw one last year that the sides roll down on?

I'm looking at masks now, is their a particular type of filter you need?

Thanks for the links Scholar :wink:

Cheers

Jed

My solution can be seen on page 2 of my old kitchen thread here

I have a frame that goes in front of the plate fan that has a piece of the inner wadding from an old sleeping bag in it which is probably much the same as the ebay filter material. It works fine. If I was starting again I'd try and work out a way to have a larger area of filter as it doesn't take too long for the filter to clog and need the top layer ripping off. Having a deflector in front to catch the worst does help.

Edit. Don't have any pictures but I made 2 stands with a bit of 1/4" steel rod sticking out horizontal for painting large doors. I drilled a hole central in the top and bottom of the door (where they will never be seen) and used them to mount the door between the 2 stands. That meant I could spray one side with the door near horizontal then flip it over to spray the other side as it could just turn on the steel pegs. Hope that made sense :)

jedmc571":2prz8oax said:
Might be wrong here, but you seem a bit narked by my post . . .

Well it was rather vague but now you have clarified what you want to do it is easier to advise.

If the construction of your workshop / garage allows, then I would look at making something which has large 'shower curtains' either in a track or just hung from hooks. I use cheap blue tarpaulins which already have eyelets in them. I personally don't think that you need to worry about extraction if you are only spraying water based finishes. Overspray is less of a problem with a HVLP system like the earlex although I would of course use a suitable mask to save your lungs. I use my trend airace as it is the only mask I can wear with glasses.

Your difficulty will be in handling large items like interior doors as you will probably have to spray them vertically. If you are doing a lot of doors then it might be worth making a drying rack like this one https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post464856.html although I doubt you would be able to manhandle a wet door onto a rack on your own. I also have the HV5000 but rarely use it as I find that if I take care I can get as good a finish with a foam roller and cleanup is a lot less hassle.

HTH,

Steve

Latest posts

Back