Spirit level ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stabila are supposed to be good, used by brickies all over - the longer the level the less error you will get from repeated measurements along a single long line.

I was also once advised that if I was marking a long line down a wall then to flip the level each time so that if there was a small systematic error in the level it was not compounded with each successive movement of the level down the wall.

Steve.

Stabila I have never had any other make in the 20 years I have been a Carpenter.

I did spot a nice one in Axminster think its called BMI and they look good one has a bleeper so when fitting kitchens you can kneel down and wind the legs without having to watch the level.

Stick with stabila. Would not bother with the fancy gizmo levels! They just get damaged on site or in the van.

Thanks Mike

Blister":8o7k2gc0 said:
Hi , can anyone recommend a decent spirit level ?

I have one that gives different readings every time you use it :shock: :?:

Thanks

Have you oiled the bubble recently? They can get sticky you know :wink:

Bob

chippy1970":3q5pnkke said:
I did spot a nice one in Axminster think its called BMI and they look good one has a bleeper so when fitting kitchens you can kneel down and wind the legs without having to watch the level.

I was interested in this, but after seeing the price i figured i needed the exercise of getting up & down to monitor the bubble when levelling units :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blister, another recommendation for a Stabila, on my second 3` one in 27 years. I only got a second cause an apprentice dropped my first from a second floor window :shock: :evil:

I use stabila and they are very good. Its worth checking your local builders merchants etc as they can often be bought at a good price for a set of levels when they are on promotion. I think I paid about £40 for a 6ft, 3ft and a boat level.

Jon

Definitely Stabila - go for the die-cast ones rather than the extruded if you can afford it as I reckon theyre more durable.

Ed

what defines a good spirit level then? Surely it's just a bubble in a tube?

Not just any old bubble though. It's a Stabila bubble, best bubble I've ever come across.

Definately go for Stabila, but I'd be wary of their cheaper range.

I bought a cheap set (6', 3', 9") and they're OK, but they don't instill confidence like the one my old man has. He's had his die cast Stabila for around 30 years and it's still bang on, in fact I used it today to hang a few doors/frames for him.

Cheers

Aled

But how would you know it's bang on? What are you referencing from? Furthermore, what makes it provide the wrong result? Genuinely interested.

wizer":1nzl1hkw said:
But how would you know it's bang on? What are you referencing from? Furthermore, what makes it provide the wrong result? Genuinely interested.

It needs to measure , horizontal and vertical accurately , thats all I need it for :wink:

9fingers":257bp5kh said:
Blister":257bp5kh said:
Hi , can anyone recommend a decent spirit level ?

I have one that gives different readings every time you use it :shock: :?:

Thanks

Have you oiled the bubble recently? They can get sticky you know :wink:

Bob

I didn't know you could still buy bubble oil!

Or will Tung/Linseed/Lemon etc.do?

:mrgreen:

Blister":2en6xch4 said:
wizer":2en6xch4 said:

It needs to measure , horizontal and vertical accurately , thats all I need it for :wink:

But how do you know if it's accurate or not?

wizer":1vbzyj9y said:
Blister":1vbzyj9y said:
wizer":1vbzyj9y said:

But how do you know if it's accurate or not?

I don't , that's why I asked for the recommendation in the first place , as to whats the best by recommendation ,

If 7 others on here say it good its good enough for me :wink:

Wizer, place the level on a horizontal surface, note the bubble position, turn the level around in its length and check the bubble position again. The bubble positions should be the same, and in the centre of the gradations, for both orientations. A similar test can be used to check the vertical accuracy. Except of course for the need to start with a vertical surface.

Anyone else have a different test?

xy

Back