Spirit level ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought my first 4ft Stabila in Sept 1971 and i've still got it i also have another4ft, 3ft ,2ft and a magnetic scaffolders level all Stabila.
Remember engineers may work to a 1000th of an inch but bricklayers are always "Spot on" :whistle:

Tony Spear":18z0gi7x said:
I didn't know you could still buy bubble oil!

I don't know anywhere that stocks bubble oil, but you can buy a new bubble here, scroll down almost to the bottom of the page. 8)

DaveL":1x0ih5me said:
Tony Spear":1x0ih5me said:

I don't know anywhere that stocks bubble oil, but you can buy a new bubble here, scroll down almost to the bottom of the page. 8)

Thanks Dave - there's loads of stuff there I could really do with!

xy mosian":21va1o9v said:
Wizer, place the level on a horizontal surface, note the bubble position, turn the level around in its length and check the bubble position again. The bubble positions should be the same, and in the centre of the gradations, for both orientations. A similar test can be used to check the vertical accuracy. Except of course for the need to start with a vertical surface.

Anyone else have a different test?

xy

I Use a pair of screws inserted into the garage door frame - one at each end of the length of the level (so for a 6' level, place them say 58" apart). Offer the level up to the screw heads (leave the screwheads proud of the surface). If it isn't level, adjust one of the screws until it is. Then flip the level, and it should read exactly the same. For horizontal check, use the same method but with the screws inserted into a workbench or similair.

Cheers

Karl

chippy1970":32oh619m said:
Stabila I have never had any other make in the 20 years I have been a Carpenter.

I did spot a nice one in Axminster think its called BMI and they look good one has a bleeper so when fitting kitchens you can kneel down and wind the legs without having to watch the level.

BMI InclaTronic - awesome level! I've had one for 10 years now and the digital display and the beeping (bit like reversing sensors) as it gets to 0 - is a godsend for kitchens. It can work out angles and similar.

My normal levels are a mix of Wickes and Stabila.

wizer":200oo3do said:
But how would you know it's bang on? What are you referencing from? Furthermore, what makes it provide the wrong result? Genuinely interested.
Hi Wizer

I use the same method as XY except that....the surface doesn't have to be horizontal...if the surface has a slop of say 1°, the level should show the same slop on one position or the other.

And as you know, I love it pictorial...

Put the level and note the bubble position
L1.jpg

Turn it around...the bubble should be at the same position
L2.jpg

Same for the vertical...
L3.jpg

L4.jpg

Regards
niki

DaveL":3jmcukgp said:
Tony Spear":3jmcukgp said:

I think you can still find bubble oil in Bath :lol:

Dave, that replacement bubble you found is the wrong shape for my levels

Bob :lol:

Blister":1f71fg2i said:
Niki

My level wont do that :?

It is possessed , and has a mind of its own :x
I think that you must call the priest... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards
niki

Yep water level,piece of clear tubeing taped to wall ,turned up on both ends,tape to surface, pour water into tube,water will give you level...mark position both ends remove water level from surface.Then put level on it to check level.

xy mosian":19lxqqtd said:
Wizer, place the level on a horizontal surface,
Isn't that the kicker though? You need a decent level to know whether the surface is horizontal or not. Chicken/egg. :wink:

Seriously though, Wizer's question is fair, how do you KNOW it is good? I understand how to test them, but what if the bubble has been mounted 'on the wee wee'?

In the better ones can you manipulate the bubble position to calibrate them?

TrimTheKing":3asois4r said:
xy mosian":3asois4r said:
Wizer, place the level on a horizontal surface,
Isn't that the kicker though? You need a decent level to know whether the surface is horizontal or not. Chicken/egg. :wink:

Seriously though, Wizer's question is fair, how do you KNOW it is good? I understand how to test them, but what if the bubble has been mounted 'on the wee wee'?

In the better ones can you manipulate the bubble position to calibrate them?

As niki put it, better than I what with pictures and all, a good level will read the same both ways on any reasonable angle of surface, by that I mean at an angle which does not force the bubble to one end of its housing. If that is not the case then the level, or rather bubble mounting within the level, is wrong. If the bubble housing has been mounted 'on the wee wee' the position of the bubble will not be the same both ways around. When the bubble is in the same place on each test then you can be fairly confident that the level is sufficiently accurate for most woody useage.
Of course this all assumes that the reference surface of the level is clean.
On some older levels the curved glass bubble housing is bedded on some chalky substance, and I assume these could be reset, with lots of care.

xy

Bit late with a reply but my computermabob blew up!
I dumped my spirit levels years ago and went back to the old method and now use the medieval TEE level and plumb line. Dead accurate, costs nowt to make.

Roy.

TrimTheKing":3ff4zywp said:
I understand how to test them, but what if the bubble has been mounted 'on the wee wee'?

That's the point, if it has been mounted incorrectly, when you turn the level round, it WON'T be in the same place.

I was once on a team of do-gooders in Mexico, going to work on a ranch that doled out food and clothing to the local poor (of which, of course, there are many in Baha California. The only problem was, we were not actually wanted by the permanent team working there. The politics of Charities, and all that. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I gained the team entrée to the "system" by demonstrating how to test that the levels they had were good. "You bin round a bit, then eh? Dang. Well, I guess..."

Actually I can't genuinely swear that he really said "Dang", but you get my point. You never know when any piece of information is going to come in useful.

And that reminds me, I'll be in Zambia in 3 weeks time doing something fairly similar, I guess. Gulp!

Cheers
Steve

Steve Maskery":2wv199hr said:
TrimTheKing":2wv199hr said:
I understand how to test them, but what if the bubble has been mounted 'on the wee wee'?

That's the point, if it has been mounted incorrectly, when you turn the level round, it WON'T be in the same place.

I was once on a team of do-gooders in Mexico, going to work on a ranch that doled out food and clothing to the local poor (of which, of course, there are many in Baha California. The only problem was, we were not actually wanted by the permanent team working there. The politics of Charities, and all that. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I gained the team entrée to the "system" by demontrating how to test that the levels they had were good. "You bin round a bit, then eh? Dang. Well, I guess..."

Actually I can't rgenuinely swear that he really said "Dang", but you get my pointYou never know when any piece of information is going to come in useful.

And that reminds me, I'll be in Zambia in 3 weeks time doing something fairly similar, I guess. Gulp!

Cheers
Steve

Can I have what Steve is drinking :mrgreen: :mrgreen: \:D/ :eek:ccasion5:

As the song says:

Don't blame it on sunshine
Don't blame it on moonlight
Don't blame it on good times
Blame it on the wireless keyboard

Cheers
Steve

I too can vouch for Stabilo levels - I've got a few in different lengths.

However,

Don't be a slave to a spirit level; more often than not when fitting furniture I ignore them.

Walls are never plumb - floors and ceilings never level. Units fitted absolutely level often look 'wrong' and have to be altered slightly to look right in relation to the existing picture rail etc.

I generally draw a level line in pencil on the wall as a reference but then adjust the unit until my eye tells me that it is 'right'.

People look with their eyes, not a spirit level.

Cheers
Brad

BradNaylor":7heey2hm said:
I too can vouch for Stabilo levels - I've got a few in different lengths.

However,

Don't be a slave to a spirit level; more often than not when fitting furniture I ignore them.

Walls are never plumb - floors and ceilings never level. Units fitted absolutely level often look 'wrong' and have to be altered slightly to look right in relation to the existing picture rail etc.

I generally draw a level line in pencil on the wall as a reference but then adjust the unit until my eye tells me that it is 'right'.

People look with their eyes, not a spirit level.

Cheers
Brad

I was always taught to put my work in right and ignore the fact that someone elses work ie Bricklayer/plasterer is out. Yeah sometimes you do have to put your stuff out a little but I try to avoid going down that road.

Latest posts

Back