spindle tooling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markus

Established Member
Reaction score
hi,i now own a spindle moulder (at last!!) need some advice on tooling?
what dia block? alloy or steel? (my moulder is 4hp)
was thinking along the line of whitehill universal block 96X55mm,any thoughts?

markus":38zulf4x said:
hi,i now own a spindle moulder (at last!!) need some advice on tooling?
what dia block? alloy or steel? (my moulder is 4hp)
was thinking along the line of whitehill universal block 96X55mm,any thoughts?

It really depends on what your making as to size of block. Bigger blocks give a better cut as the slice is bigger, less rippling effect etc. Also depends on whether you are manual or power feeding.

As to alloy or steel imho the quality of the cut is the same, it's just that alloy is kinder to the motor & bearings etc. And alloy usually being cheaper.

I have the Whitehill block you mention in alloy and it's OK.

I would consider buying a dedicated TC rebate block, I have a steel one with TC knives & spurs 125mm X 55mm , excellent cut quality.

Another worthwhile block is an adjustable groover, it's suprising how much use these get and how versatile they are.

The list is endless :D and your now going down that slippery slope :D where you'll end up spending more money on tooling than the cost of the machine :D :D .

yeh cheers, will be manual feed for now.will be using it for making skirting board,T&g boards,arcatrive,rebating ect. i was going to get rebate block,same size that you got,4 wing shear cut?

Back