Spindle Moulder tooling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AspiringWoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to the spindle moulding world and looking for guidance on what spindle moulder courses\tuition would be recommended?

I have recently purchased a secondhand Jet jws-34 spindle moulder and want to develop skills and experience using it. Im in the south east so any local tuition would be preferred.

I am also reaching out to ask for help with buying ovolo profile raised head cutters so I can do a batch of ovolo door architrave?

Thank you

Working in and running workshops for most of my working life before I retired I can only say you are very wise to want some tuition before you use a spindle, it is a machine that takes no prisoners if it goes wrong. Few amateur woodworkers will have the experience to help you and many professional cabinet makers do not use a spindle enough to help either. My advice would to see if there is a College of Further Education near you that run City and Guilds/ NVQ joinery courses that could help. They will only teach you safe practice, false fences, tunnel guards, power feeds, jig making, ring fence and so on.
The other way is to go into a joinery workshop, Joiners use a spindle day in and day out and have hours and years of experience, the problem is many take short cuts as they become familiar with the machine and you could learn bad practice as well as good and not realize the risk. They also do most of their work with a power feed so do not put the guards in place as their hands do not feed the wood and the shaw guard would stop the power feed working
I wish you lived nearer so I could help as I still have a Luna spindle and a mass of tooling but I wish you a safe experience with your machine

Back