spindle moulder or router table???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markus

Established Member
Reaction score
hi,new to this forum, i've been unable to decide wether to build a router table or buy a spindle moulder,just looking for some thoughts on the pro's and cons of each machine to help me decide,thank you.mark

It would all depend on what you are going to make, a spindle moulder would suit a joiner and a router table would suit a hobbyist.
I have just completed building a router table and am amazed the kind of things I can use it for,I would say it is a lot more versatile than a spindle moulder.

Oh, and a warm welcome to the forum

what size router(hp) did you put in yours?? are routers up to the job for some of these larger cutters??

markus":2zdzjwku said:
what size router(hp) did you put in yours?? are routers up to the job for some of these larger cutters??

Hi markus, i got the triton Trb001
The Triton 2400W 1/2in Router is the perfect companion for any router table. Fast, trouble-free cutter changing from beyond the base and above the table, with just one spanner. No more skinned knuckles!

With an innovative guide plate, incorporating a fully adjustable fence and circle cutting, the Triton Router is equally suited to hand-held use. A powerful, smooth 3 1/4hp motor with soft start and variable speed features ensures the Triton Router glides effortlessly and cleanly through the toughest jobs.

3 modes of depth setting to suit every job
Rack & pinion winder handle for single-handed, accurate and fast depth adjustment.
Fine tune depth adjustment throughout the full plunge range using the micro winder.
Conventional 'free' plunge for fast, coarse depth adjustment

Ideal for table mounting
Designed specifically with table mounting in mind, the Router is the perfect companion for any router table. Quick and accurate cutter adjustments are made easy using the 'through-base' collet access and unique depth controls. Triton Dust Collector hoses screw straight on for highly effective chip extraction above and below the table. An easily removable plunge spring reduces plunge resistance when table mounted.

Perfect when hand held
Powered by a smooth 2400W* motor with soft start and variable speed features, the Router glides effortlessly and cleanly through the toughest jobs. Fully enclosed front and rear safety shields ensure safe operation and very effective dust extraction, and they can even remain fitted when changing cutters. Twin turret stops and three modes of depth adjustment provide maximum control over cut accuracy.
Features
1. Fully enclosed safety shields (remain fitted when changing bits)
2. Illuminated switch with shutter to prevent accidental starting
3. Powerful 3¼ hp motor with soft start
4. Easy to set turret stops with direct reading calibrations
5. Multi-function fence. Incorporates extended baseplate and circle cutting features
6. Variable speed (8,000 to 20,000 rpm) with speed maintenance under load
7. Removable plunge spring reduces plunge resistance when table-mounted
8. Plunge locking lever
9. Winder handle rack-and-pinion plunge for fast depth adjustment
10. Conversion switch for plunge or winder depth setting
11. Micro-winder for precise depth setting through the full range
12. Large bore dust port for effective chip extraction 13. 1/2in collet (with 1/4in reducer)
14. Shaft lock automatically engages in cutter change mode 15. Triton 1/2in Premium TCT Router Bit included

I copied this info, it saved a lot of typing :D
incra018.jpg

how much was it? are you saying with this model you don't need these fancy expensive router lift things???

markus welcome

if you are cramped for space, a router table is the answer

if you arnt crapped for space and youve never had either machine a router table will teach you a lot about moulding and safety with this type of technique

spindle moulders do heavier work in single passes. they are serious money and the heads are expensive

id love a spindle moulder for doors and windows because relying on joinery shops is a real pain (phone calls from customers asking when you are going to install)

im a carpenter so i cant do everything, the spindle moulder would take a quite some time to earn its cost

everytime i have to put a window or door out to a joinery shop my heart says you want a spindle moulder, my head is still winning at the moment

your last sentence says it all ,i was thinking moulder cos i mite want to make the odd door/window for my house (if i con ever afford on were i live) in the future.but what you say is correct a router table will be a good way of learning,so its looking like a router table!!! who makes the best cutters? i'm a big freud fan but what about others??any body use them tornado cutters from rutlands???

I use wealden tool, very good with free next day delivery.
You can make Doors and windows with a router table, just takes more time than a spindle moulder.

i use trend mostly

i have a few titmans and titman will make specials

ive had one special made, a longer shank, it cost 15% extra

i have a couple of CMTs from axminster

Martin: How do you find the Triton for adjusting the height when in table mode... is it a 'dodle'?

I seem to be in disagreement mode tonight :) :).

Spindle moulders can be inexpensive, there's quite a few used models on Ebay etc.

As for cutters the stock items are in fact as cheap or cheaper than router cutters, Spindle moulders imho cut much better giving better constant results and of course much quicker.

A 2hp machine hardly take up anymore room than a stand alone router table.

It all depends on what your planning on making.

Hope this helps

WiZeR":ozak7b08 said:
Martin: How do you find the Triton for adjusting the height when in table mode... is it a 'dodle'?

It's a breeze WiZeR, Switch to off, raise the router fully, turn with spanner and it locks automatically, job done

incra015.jpg

FelderMan":2gb0u9nb said:

Spindle moulders can be inexpensive, there's quite a few used models on Ebay etc.

As for cutters the stock items are in fact as cheap or cheaper than router cutters, Spindle moulders imho cut much better giving better constant results and of course much quicker.

Hope this helps

I must agree with you Felderman, the only thing is that a router table is much more versatile than a spindle moulder, for example how long would it take to make this?
wood018.jpg

All done on the router table in a few hours, including the dovetails.

motownmartin":3naf6l0n said:
FelderMan":3naf6l0n said:

Hope this helps

I must agree with you Felderman, the only thing is that a router table is much more versatile than a spindle moulder, for example how long would it take to make this?

All done on the router table in a few hours, including the dovetails.

About an hour :D :D My spindle moulderis also a table router with powerfeed :D
Nice box by the way :)

FelderMan":vcuzfnak said:
About an hour :D :D My spindle moulderis also a table router with powerfeed :D
Nice box by the way :)

:D Nice one son :D I challenge you :-k me thinks you're only joking :lol:

I still have to finish it with Danish oil

felderman

the prices of the cutters for spindle moulders are cheaper than router cutters

but one of the main reasons my head says no to a spindle moulder is the cost of the cutter heads

they look to cost around £200 each and it loos like you need a good half dozen just to start with

is this correct

or will a single cutter head hold all the cutters (and the limiters)

DD

A standard cutter head will hold a wide range of moulding cutters, which come with the appropriate limiters. The machine will usually come with such a head and if it doesn't you can almost certainly swing a deal.

You may also want a rebate block and, if you do this sort of work, a raised panel head. These often take a variety of raised panel profiles too, so again, one block gives many shapes. So that's 3 head max, and you can do quite a lot just with the standard head.

I have both router table and spindle moulder, and I use the router table far more, but for joinery work (of which I do very little), the SM wins hands down. Unfortunately I can't really justify the space for both, so when I've finished my doors and windows project next year, I'm going to be selling. It will be just my luck to get a massive joinery commission the week after it goes!

dirtydeeds":2keiue2a said:
felderman

the prices of the cutters for spindle moulders are cheaper than router cutters

but one of the main reasons my head says no to a spindle moulder is the cost of the cutter heads

they look to cost around £200 each and it loos like you need a good half dozen just to start with

is this correct

or will a single cutter head hold all the cutters (and the limiters)

you can buy the standard euro cutter block for around £60 to £100 ish they come in different sizes usually 98mm wide up to around 125mm wide & 40mm deep. You can get deeper blocks right but then the price does up :) And you fit the euro 40mm cutters with limiters on the block. The 40mm depth of cutter will do small mouldings right up to architrive and some skirting boards just to give you an idea of size.

If you look on page 84 in the Axminster new catalogue you'll see the CMT range of blocks & cutters. Shop around as prices vary a bit.

hope this helps

Back