spend my money for me TABLE SAW

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suprasport

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
need help spending my money, :lol:

im after a table saw with a MAXIMUM budget of £300 less if possible i have been looking at Axminster link
and Transtools link and ebay1 ebay2
but to be honest i havent a clue what im looking for in the respect of what makes them different apart from depth of cut and motor, i like the idea of induction motor but the quality is more important to me, is there much difference in quality between them all ?
So fire away im wide open for suggestions and would like to order it tomorrow :wink:

Shaun,

You do need to give us a clue as to what you want to use the saw for. :-s

And where you are going to use it, are you going to need to move it form site to site or will it be in your workshop? :-k

Sorry its for workshop only and mainly for ripping nothing larger than 600mm wide and mainly smaller items i tend to be ripping on the bandsaw at the moment as my table saw is dodgy safety wise (home made) but cuts perfect and with a scraper the piece is ready to take a finish whereas with the bandsaw teh piece needs a lot of prep work after the cut, crosscut a possibility at times, mitre i'm not to bothered about as i have a decent mitre saw.
the kitty419 i fancy but out of my budget im afraid :wink:

Shaun,
I know that this is not what you want to hear, but...

Personally I don't think you will be very happy with any new tablesaw in that price range. Good table saws simply cost more than that. And if you are happy with your current tablesaw (apart from the safety aspects) then my guess is that you be happier with the safety aspects of the new saw but not with the cut.

Now for something a bit more constructive. Why not look out for something second hand? OK I know that may mean waiting, but you'll get more saw for your money when you do.

If you really do want new and tomorrow, my vote would be for the Ryobi.

Cheers
Steve

Looks like the fence on that Ryobi only clamps from the front. Wobbly cuts ahoy!

An alternative for your budget is hand held circular saw and a guide. If you havn't already you can get a very tasty circular saw for that sort of budget and have change for some hand tools \o/

If it's still the table saw you're after, budget for a replacement blade or two.

MrJay":22cid2lp said:
Looks like the fence on that Ryobi only clamps from the front. Wobbly cuts ahoy!

Maybe, but not necessarily. A three-point front fixing can be rock solid. That's how many upper-end fences clamp. My Xcalibur is only front fixing and my previous saw, with a home-made fence was like that, and would move a thou. The actual rigidity of the fence itself matters though. I'd prefer to see the machine in the flesh.

S

Hi suprasport,

I have a site saw for me it's the next best thing to a cast iron £600+ saw.
The main advantage is the noise difference, its quiet some saw's are mega loud. And of course soft start.
And the £300 Jet has cross cut as well as rip,the other's site saw's haven't.

The best fence's only clamp at one end ...don't they?

Personally, I would wait until you can afford a decent tool. I've used some budget tablesaws and everyone was pants.

The only thing I can think of that might be good enough within your budget is a triton workstation and circular saw.

Spooky!

You're in the same county as each other!

That SIP's got your name on it

Des

Don't worry, they'll be others. I have that type of saw and very highly recommend it. You can get it for £450 new, delivered if you shop around or monitor ebay for a 2nd hand 1.
Good Luck

Hey Suprasport,

I remember seeing a review of this saw:

http://www.dbkeighley.co.uk/masters/sip01332.htm

in The Woodworker (or similar) about a year ago and they gave it a really good review. I went into DB Keighleys in Leeds for something unrelated and saw the same piece of kit set up. It looks and feels great. It felt really solid and everything moved nice and tight with no play on the handles and guides etc. It's a bit more than the £300 budget, but, like others are saying save for a bit longer if you can and get a good machine. I used to have an old cast iron bed sedgewick but, it took up too much space and I traded it's place with a combi machine with an extruded aluminium top. I does what it needs but, I wish I still had the solid/rigidity of a cast iron bed again. And the quieter cutting!!

I guess others my have different views?

I suppose the only thing to do is go to a good dealers and see if you can have a look at one first hand and compare options.

Sandy

Latest posts

Back